Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mac's Notes

MacCearain

From Thanksgiving to Xmass, I didn't go to the range much. Holidays, was sick for a week, work got really busy... But yesterday I took a friend who had never shot before. He had a great time. We started in my basement with some basics just handling and talking about the 3 firearms we were going to fire. Then we went to the range and fired them all. I'm glad I took a few minutes to talk about the operation of the firearms. It was much easier talking about them dry without ear protection, and made the session go well. I don't feel like I should be training people about firearms, but I also feel like there was some value in the information I shared and I know we had a good time. He shot really well. It felt really good for me to fire a few rounds again, after the couple of week break. I'm looking forward to establishing a more regular dry fire schedule this year. Last year I did dry fire. But I think becoming more regular and putting more thought into the dry fire sessions will improve my shooting.

Merry Christmas... and thanks for the encouragement and the opportunity to read everyones thoughts -- I'm really glad that I've started shooting this year....

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Gone to the range a few more times.... Had my first experience of seeing the sight all the way thru recoil. I had setup a few static steel plates and was working on transitions. It seemed like I was following the movement of the front sight without losing it between shots. This was new for me. I've always lost the front sight between shots, and I've simply just waited for it to reappear. I couldn't reproduce this at the indoor range, yet. It'll take more practice, but it was cool.

I decided to take some classes this year. So I've signed up for USPSA RO Class and a shooting class from Ben Stoeger. Really looking forward to the classes.

Mac

• 2 months later...

Took my first Division win at a local match...

PASA Monthly IPSC MATCH MARCH

Match Date: 3/15/2009

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Points Stg %

1 McCarron, Paul A62107 D Production Minor N N N N 420.4024 100.00%

I fully realize that it was partly a fluke.... ALL of the competitors that usually stomp me had some weird itch to shoot Single Stack.... I'm sure it didn't have anything to do the SS Nats coming up... So I squeaked past 3 other Production shooters...

In the overall standings... I came in 38th out of 58 shooters.

The cool moment in the match for me... There was a stage that had a no shoot clam shell that would swing down and back up - ONCE. Interestingly, it was setup with the no shoot obviously in front but just below the head area A Zone (bottom portion of B Zone was covered)... So the target really isn't a disappearing target...

The clam shell action looked like a tough shot for my ability, so I simply drilled the showing partial head shot twice... and didn't even worry about the clam shell operation... I took the steel that actuated the clam shell last, so I was dropping my mag and showing clear -- while it was flop'n... This stage resulted in my best standings in the overalls... 31st...

Mac

• 5 weeks later...

Went to the range today... Worked on draws at 10 and 15 yards. Best draw was 1.3 sec... average was 1.6 - 1.7 sec... Interestingly, It was fairly easy to put two shots in the A zone under 2 seconds. Also shot the 45 abit... Noticed that my hand really EXPECTS the Beretta for Mag releases and grip size... This was the first time in a long time I shot the 1911... The grips seem really thin and long... I felt like I had to break my grip much more on the 1911 than on the Beretta to hit the release... Also worked the Ruger with the Red Dot.... Damn it's nice to shoot with both eyes open... In the long run I may get an open gun, just to be able to shoot 2 eyes open... Iron sights still create double images for me... I'm going to have to try the tape in the shooting glasses again... last time I tried it, I didn't notice a difference -- but maybe I'll see something I was missing before.

Helped setup and tear down a match last weekend. Obviously, shot it as well.... Met up with a friend from work during the match that I hadn't expected to see, so we squadded together. I shot crazy accurate... many times all As. Which in retrospect means I need to get on the gas harder...

The April Classifiers bumped me into C Class in Production... The actual classification isn't super important to me... but I am proud of the steady progress... :cheers:

Mac