Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load For A P16?

texasag93

I have been shooting a P16 Limited for about 2 years now. I am an experienced reloader(16 years) but have yet to find an "accurate" load for my .40. I have tried various powders and bullets(Lead, plated, jacketed) but nothing will average better than 2 to three inches at 15 yds. off sand bags. Before you think I just can't shoot; I have .45's that make ragged holes at 15 yds. I am currently loading Tite Group and it is OK, but I believe that it should shoot better than what I am getting. I don't want to replace the barrel. The gun performs flawlessly. It just isn't as accurate as I want it, or am I expecting to much?

VV 320 seems to be accurate with a 200 grn molycoated bullet, my standing groups at 25 yards are 2-3"

I hate to say it but if you are getting those poor of groupings @ 15, I would say it is time for a new barrel, or at least make sure the one you have is properly fit.

Para is well known for very inconsistent barrels. I had 2 one shoot great one sucked about as bad if not worse than yours. Try an oversized Match Barrel bushing if that doesn't help rebarrel it. Titegroup and 180 FMJ's shoot well try 4.5-4.8 range for a 172 PF.

Yes, I have been shooting a 180 gr. bullet with 4.6 of tite group for a PF of 171. I am looking at a barrel but am worried about function. I have shot about 50 matches with this gun and yet to have a malfunction of ANY kind. I can put A and C hits on IPSC targets all day at 50yds off hand. Just thought it should shoot better off a rest at 15. I just feel more confident with an accurate firearm. Yes the accuracy is probably acceptable for a C limited shooter. Just thought someone might have the magic load that I have yet to discover. :blink:

The P16 that I sometimes play with will eat the same OAL rounds that I load for my Glock.

4.3 of TG at 1.135 OAL gets me to 170pf.

I have to agree with Steve...as long as I can hit the small steel and find the Alphas...tht is enough accuracy for me.

I also agree with Chris and L2S, the fit on Paras is often sloppy...very sloppy. (especially the stainless guns, IMO)

Have been shooting a P-16 now for 2 years and really love the gun. Changed out several parts because the original Para parts were either too fragile or too rough. Originally the accuracy was passable with the factory barrel, but I installed a Schuemann bull barrel and the accuracy is now exceptional with the right load (more later). The barrel was relatively easy to install per my gunsmith. A 2 oz. tungsten guide rod competed the transformation so it handles very well.

The most accurate load I shoot is N-320 with a zero 180 JHP @ an overall length of 1.175- 1.180. I found that the new barrel likes the rounds a little shorter than the 1.20's that some people are shooting.

Good luck!

I have two Para's that I shoot in Limited. They both have aftermarket barrels fitted by a gunsmith who specialized in IPSC guns, and, when they were new, would shoot under 1.5" at 25 yards, and still shoot under 2". One has a Schuemann, the other a Limcat. The load I use is a 180 gr FP Zero over 5.2 gr VVN320, at OAL 1.200, giving a PF of 170-172.

2 to 3 inch groups are probably good enough for most IPSC stages, but I had always been told that to become a better shooter, you need to learn accuracy, and that only comes from shooting a gun/ammo combo that will shoot better than the shooter. Makes sense to me: if you shoot lousy groups, but don't know if it is your own technique or the gun or the ammo, how can you improve?

Put it another way - Brian, Robbie or Matt could take a stock pistol that shoots 4 or 5 inch groups out of a machine rest and shoot a 4 or 5 inch group with it themselves, as good as the machine, and that would be enough for them to take down a popper or plate at 25 yards every time. But their own guns shoot into one inch at that distance, and so can they, and they got that way by training with accurate guns. As a humble B class shooter, my groups with that stock gun might be six inches or more, or two or more inches with B/R/M's blasters. I can't hold on the center of the plate like they can, so if you combine my inaccuracy with the gun's, then I'm off the edge of the plate.

I think that I NEED that accuracy in myself to make up for less than a perfect hold on the target, or to make up for a less accurate gun, but I don't think that I will LEARN that accuracy unless I train with an accurate gun and ammo. I also think that I WILL be more accurate on the target if I develop more skill and my gun/ammo are inherently more accurate. :rolleyes:

after two years of shooting i think i found the round that works best in my p16-40. i use a star 200gr projectile over 4.7-4.8gr's of VV N320 loaded out to 1.190oal.

my gun is setup with an 11lb recoil spring, tungsten guide rod and it has been railed.

since i've been shooting this load my consistancy has increased dramatically.

There are no substitutes for mechanical accuracy of the gun, and for accuracy of the load. I have a Para-16, and

the original barrell was so loose in vertical lockup and hood to slide fit as to be useless for IPSC.

A point to note about Para slides is they are larger at the muzzle end than other slides.

Ed Brown makes a bull barrell that is nominally .704 inch diameter at the muzzle, it is cut to maximum dimensions

for vertical lockup and hood to slide fit. Feeds as well as the stock barrell, and is mechanically accurate, drop in fit.

My load is a 165 grain, truncated flat point, jacketed Winchester bullet, 5.2 grain TiteGroup, Winchester small

pistol primer, 1.180 inch OAL. Makes 169-170 PF in the Ed Brown barrell, is as accurate as any shooter

can shoot it.

Ron Sparks

Thanks for the info guys. I have replaced parts(the P16 is stainless) that have worn out: extractor, firing pin stop, firing pin spring. I would like to just retire it and get an STI but I have been shooting several matches lately and noticed that the custom guns malfunction more than the factory stock ones. I would like a new barrel but I am on a budget(also having a rifle built at the moment). The accuracy is adequate for IPSC. I don't miss unless it was me not the lack of accuracy of the gun. I guess I am just an accuracy freak. Comes from years of varmint rifles prior to discovering IPSC.

Back to the P16, the fit of the gun is tight(not sloppy and loose). I guess I will have to live with the lack of acuracy until I can get a new barrel or shoot Limited 10 with one of my single stack tack drivers. :( Thanks again for the info guys. GIG 'EM

I would disagree on the custom guns puking more than a factory gun. If it is built right and by someone who knows how to build one it should run 100%. Most of the problems with a custom gun is bad ammo or the owner that just has to keeping screwing with it. Home gunsmithing and IPSC usually don't mix.