Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mgm Three Gun Match Advice?

Hi Matt,

It's all about equipment reliability, and ammo load bearing capability. Steady performance, with no functioning problems is the ticket for this match. Almost all stages took 3-5 minutes total shooting time (or more). I typically carried (4) 27 rnd pistol mags, (3) 30 rnd AR mags (in addition to the start mag on some stages), and 40 plus rounds of shotgun ammo. Most folks expended 20-25% more rounds than the stage minimums. Last years minimum round count was just under 800, I expended 1080 rounds total. I took 600 pistol, 500 rifle, 350 shot, 100 slugs, and 50 buckshot. Cleaning and maintenance items should be carried as needed. Spare parts (or even spare guns) could be an important issue.

Pistol shots went out to 75 yards, and some very precise 15-20 yard shooting was required. Rifle engagement was from point blank to 350 yds (I found a 200yd zero was perfect). Some very precise 50 yard rifle shots were also required (Wait till you meet the "Precision Rifle Target"). Most rifle shooting beyond 100 yds was slightly uphill. Local elevation is approximately 2700 feet. The one long rifle target last year was a 24" plate @ 625 (15 degree uphill shot). Slug shots were out to 75 yds on MGM flashers, and out to 100 yards on partial paper targets (the stage I got to shoot in twilight).

It takes a long time to run each shooter and reset the stage, so plan on spending a lot of time standing, working, and waiting. I re-geared to utilize removable belts this year so I don't have to wear all my gear until I come up on a stage. I also set it up so my shotgun ammo rides on an additional belt so I don't have to wear, or mess with it if I don't need it (a couple of stages didn't need much shotgun reloading, so I got by with what was on the gun).

Layered clothing was the ticket because it was alternately hot, windy, and cold. We shot from 9am, till after 7pm on day 1, and 8am to 9pm on day 2. Different color lenses/glasses would help. I wound up shooting a tough 3 gun stage at almost 9pm in very deep twilight (thats why I have a red dot on my open shotgun now instead of a ghost ring and fiber optic front). Blowing dust was a big issue so I kept mags, pistol, and long guns bagged until I prepped for my runs.

Bring lots of liquid to drink to keep from getting dehydrated. Good food (lunch only) is available at the range on day 1, and 2, but snacks need to be brought.

See ya there,

George, thanks for the info!

BENNY! I AM A COMIN FOR YA!!! hehe

How have you been? BTW can you send me a couple comps? Call me. Besides, got an incredible fix for the interrupter issue on the 1100's from Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge that you have to hear about.

I thought the comment above yours was meant for me too after that nastyness in Texas, turning the match into a 5 gun championship. :angry:

Mattster,

Take as much ammo as you think you will need, then double it!

If you have a friend named Saabu, the ammo bearer, take him!

Leave plenty of extra rounds or magazines laying on your shooting bag, because it's legal there for people to throw extra ammo in to you so you can complete the stages.

Nomex gloves are a plus, hydrate, and good luck.

p.s. Don't take any rifle that you don't want over-heated.

Good Luck,

Todd Salmon ;)

Thanks Todd.

I was thinking about a forced-air cooling system. Mount a fan in the back and push air forward out the handguard. Wonder if it would significantly reduce the heat issue.

What bullet weight in a .223 should I be using? 55's or 69's. There is only supposed to be 10 targets between 300-400.

I like the 55's, for the trajectory, but Cooley, the rifle king, likes the heavier ones. He actually knows how to adjust the sight dope.

You're going to be shooting flash targets I'm pretty sure, so weight is not a factor for target take down.

You're from the west so you know if the wind is blowing hard, it really doesn't matter that much, that little .22 bullet is going to drift alot.

I would go light again if I were going.

Good Luck Bro,

Todd

George, Friday the 13th is my lucky day. I was born on Friday the 13th, although it was August. :D Besides the Superstition 3 Gun has already been held.

So here is the set up so far.

9 major SVI with 5 28 round mags - have 9 total if I need them. Just don't want to carry all that stuff. 125 JHP's at 1350.

12 guage Grams Engineering Benelli with JP point, Bevin Speed Loader Well etc. #6 with 7/8th oz. and 3.5, #8 with 1 1/8 and 3 1/4, Wolf slugs and Rem RR Slugs (for 30 yards and under), PMC 00 buck. 12 tech loaders, and a porcupine ammo holder. (more descriptive than anything, means shotgun shells sticking out everywhere its comfortable)

.223 16.5" with 55 grain federal with 2 45 rounders and 5 30 rounders, Trijicon Accupoint TR21 1-4, bi-pod, and all the other cool stuff.

.223 24" with 69 grain Matt load ;) varmint handguard, bi-pod, 1.25 pound trigger for the long range.

.308 20" armalite with 175 black hills, accuracy speaks free float tube, springfield 6X scope (kinda not that great of a scope btw), bi-pod etc. as a back up to the above rifle depending on wind and targets at match.

Got a lot of crap going, as long as all of it goes bang and repeats the process I should be fine.

They upped the match to 10 stages and 1021 rounds. Takes 6 guns now, but, two of them are provided including a sub gun and a mech-tech carbine.

Anyway, hope to see you all there. Will be leaving next Wed for practice on Thursday at the range.

• 2 weeks later...

Unofficial report on 2003 MGM Iron Man 3 Gun Match.

I can only remember 4 of the top 5, so here goes.

Matt Burkett high overall and 1st open. David Neth 2nd overall and 1st scoped tactical. Kyle Lamb 3rd overall and 2nd scoped tactical. Dustin Lohoff 4th overall and 2nd open. The only other result of significance I remember is that I finished 17th overall just like last year, what's up with that?

I left over 1200 rounds in the berms. All my guns ran without a hitch for ten stages of heat and dust and more heat (Kudos to Slide Glide, Kroil and JP #1 lubricants, they all rock). I however, ran with a number of hitches in the biological input module and balanced out a few nice stage runs with a few not so nice stage runs.

Great fun, highly recommended if you are into lotsa trigger time on lotsa different types of targets.

Some highlights: 20' H tower that you climb to take rifle shots out to 500 yards. Being driven around in a circle while shooting from a cage in the back of a pickup truck. A three gun assault course up a dusty gully featuring multiple hot weapon transitions (back and forth with a hot slung rifle and hot holstered handgun). A full auto sequence using a supplied 9mm carbine on a plate rack, and an IPSC paper target. Enough clay pigeon flipper poppers to choke a horse, and our new nemesis, the "Spinner" target.

Recommendations while in Idaho for the match:

Best Western Hotel in Caldwell, ID (Get a spa room with Jacuzzi and you will not regret it after you spend 12 hours (plus) shooting stages each day).

The "Grinder" at BLT's in Parma, ID (it's sloppy, and spicy, yum)

Armadillo BBQ in Caldwell, ID (the deep fried pickles will make you want to drink a lot of beer if you aren't careful)

Now to continue recuperating before the drive home and a stop for a BBQ sandwich at the Flying Pig in Winnemucca, NV (the sliced pork sandwich with cole slaw is to die for if you are a "Q" fan).

Regards,

Now that I've shot this for the first time;

Bring WAY more buckshot and slugs than the minimum required. A lot of this was expended at the double spinner to get it to turn, and the minimum round count only includes a single round to say you have engaged it.

Bring a chair. Bring a chair. Bring a chair!

Bring some heavy loads and tight chokes (like goose loads or #4 buck) for a couple of the shotgun stages.

Practice shooting all three guns weak hand!

Bring some food. First day we shot until close to 9:30 pm. Lunch is provided, after that you are on your own.

Stay close to the match. The commute from Boise isn't bad, but it is time you could better spend sleeping and cleaning your gear.

There is a fair amount of precise shooting involved, know your zeros cold to avoid no shoot penalties on the flag targets. Next year I'll bring a laser range finder.

Load your pistol ammo hot, several stages you have to get the spinner to fully rotate. It is easier with hot ammo.

I found I didn't like the rifle sights on my Benelli, I'll go fiber optic next year. Easier to get the clays.

Be patient. You'll run into shooters that take entirely too long to get ready for a stage (Like way, way too long!). Squads ahead of you will slow things down as well. There will be the occasional range equipment failure. Suck it up!

Great match, haven't seen the results yet, had to catch a flight.

Thanks to Mike and Rhonda and all the ROs and squad 1, and all the sponsors.