Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong Hand/weak Hand Only Reloads

Nik Habicht

If you mean the Mid-Atlantic Section Championship I would suggest asking the Match Director before wasting a lot of time planning somewhat dangerous one handed reloads. The guys at York are no-nonsense guys (and perhaps not the best technical writers) so I would bet that there is NO WAY they mean doing a crazy one handed reload. Its likely the normal shoot with 6 freestyle, reload the good old fashioned way with two hands, then shoot either strong hand or weak hand for the remaining 6 targets.

BamBam,

That's pretty much what my friends said....... But I wanted to know what my options were if I ever ran into that situation. As a Production shooter using Blade-Tech, stronghand I'd administratively reload in the holster, weak hand I'd eat the procedural and use the other hand. With a rcae holster I'd eat the penalty with both hands....

I'm the author of the stage in question, and the Match Director. It came to my attention some time ago that the stage description should have had the word "freestyle" in there a couple of times. We'll fix it in the walk-through.

As a Production shooter using Blade-Tech, stronghand I'd administratively reload in the holster, weak hand I'd eat the procedural and use the other hand.

I meant to post this, but never did. After my previous post saying that Kydex wouldn't work when sticking the gun in there backwards during a weak hand only reload, I tried it with my 1911 and Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster. It works just fine. Actually it holds the gun really securely. I'm sure though that, with some other guns, it wouldn't work.

Any course requiring one hand only shooting, I would think, should specify that reloads and malfunction clearance drills may be performed freestyle. That's certainly how it is on USPSA classifiers. I look at the strong hand only/weak hand only reload techniques as good things to have in your bag of tricks should you ever have to do them "for real," but they have no place in a match. Just MHO.