Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for .308 loads

DonT

Anyone loading .308 for a 1:10" 16" barrel?

Just starting to load for this rifle and wondering what your pet loads are...

case trim length

oal

powder

bullet

etc.

Any help appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
Mine shoots sub inch with some surpluse & up to 4 inches with others, shoot till you find what it likes or load 150 gr. blistic tip nosler over 44 grs imr4895.

Thanks Benny. I've shot about 1000rds of Lake City Match 173gr thru it and get a good consistant 1moa. Shot 500rds of Fed GM Match 168gr with 1-1.5moa. Am almost out of both that's why I'm loading.

For anyone interested, I have worked up some loads and will post findings here after 5/4/08 (my next trip to the range)

41.5 grains of IMR4895 with a sierra 168 grain Match King bullet will duplicate the Lake City M852 Match round. I have also used IMR4064 and Hogdon Varget with good results. the Varget load is very temperature forgiving.

Ken

41.5 grains of IMR4895 with a sierra 168 grain Match King bullet will duplicate the Lake City M852 Match round. I have also used IMR4064 and Hogdon Varget with good results. the Varget load is very temperature forgiving.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Haven't used the M852. I'm using the XM118 (of 1963 vintage). Love this stuff. Probably about the same. That's the 2nd nod for IMR4895 so I need to get some. Have loaded some to try using 4064 with 168 and 180 Sierra Match Kings. We'll see.

I could be mistaken but I believe the M118 round used a 172 grain spire point boat tail and a slightly heavier powder charge. I do have some of the newer M118LR shells but I have not broken any of them down to weigh the bullet or powder charge.

Ken

I've tried IMR 4895, IMR 4064 and Varget powder with combinations of Sierra's 168 SMK's and Hornady 168 A-max and some pulled military 173 gr BT match bullets. But the best for me is 155 gr. Sierra Palma Match bullet over 44 grains of IMR 4064.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the DPMS AP4. My best load so far has been 41.7 grn Varget under a 168 AMAX. I use LC brass for the most part. This load will consistently group MOA or less.

How do you like the DPMS AP4? Jim

I have the DPMS AP4. My best load so far has been 41.7 grn Varget under a 168 AMAX. I use LC brass for the most part. This load will consistently group MOA or less.

How do you like the DPMS AP4? Jim

I love mine. It shoots great and functions with everything I've put through it.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd post an update for anyone that's interested.

It's been over a year, 45 different 5rd. loads (225 rounds), 4 different powders, and I have come to the conclusion that this is about as good as this rifle or me is going to shoot.

post-12069-1243724902_thumb.jpg

I've only used 168gr. SMK's because that's what I have. Once they are gone, I'd like to start over with 150's.

Kind of discouraging. I would have thought I could do better than that. Have even thought of getting a regular AR-10T upper and using this carbine upper for 3-gun.

Any comments, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just load what I've got and call it good enough.

Edited by DonT

• 2 months later...

Don that looks pretty good to me coming out of a 16" semi-auto. I have a 16" Armalite that does not do quite that well but I have only tired Hornady TAP in 155gr and 168gr, and Black Hills Gold 168gr. I have a 21" Noveske that is the cats behind. I use the Black Hills in it because that is what Noveske recommends for factory ammo. I am about to start reloading for .308 but have no experience in reloading for rifle. I have been reading alot and just need to get a few more questions answered. I am lacking dies and a case trimmer and I will be all set.