Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 BR Pet Loads?

Tom Freeman

I am getting ready to start loading for a 6.5 BR for Silhouette shooting.  I am using Lapua brass and Sierra 120 and 140 Matchkings.

Might anyone have any good loads they might want to share?  I know a lot of the Masters shooters liked the caliber, but there is not a lot of info out there.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of published data for the 6.5BR. As you are using Lapua brass you must be careful not to use data that has been gathered in US made cases. The internal dimensions are vastly different.

Try this lot.

120gr.

Win 748 - Start 26grains  Max 29gr

H322 - Start 21gr  max 24gr

blc2 - Start 27  max 30gr. some guns will allow 31gr

140gr

Win 748 - Start 24gr Max 27gr

H322 - Start 19gr  max 22gr

BLC2 - Start 25.5gr  Max 28gr.

The 6.5mm bullets have a lot of friction due to the long bulets and this causes a fair amount of pressure problems. I would also suggest trying powders about the 4895 to Varget burn rate. It is easier to start to slow and then get faster.

The 6mm BR always worked well for me with RE12 with 100grainers. Try things like Benchmark with caution as they are quite fast burning.

Always start slow and low.

(Edited by gm iprod at 1:40 am on Jan. 24, 2003)

• 2 weeks later...

I used 120 Ballistic tips with AA2015BR in my ULA Long Range gun.I don't remember the charge.It shot better than most rifles.This was a popular load for the Masters a while back.Things may have changed.