Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" .40 load help with VV 320

zhunter

OK, I am just finalizing my loads for the USSA Pro Am and need some help as I have not been able to get out and test. There is NOT a Minimum PF, so it is not rocket science here, but I want to be in the 160 PF area give or take a few.

I am loading Montana Gold JHP 180 grains, over 4.6 grains of VV 320 with Winchester Primers and an OAL of 1.20"

I know this is not gonna be 165, but what do you think it will be? And if any of you are using VV320 for 6" guns, what are your USPSA Major PF loads?

Thanks,

ZH

4.6 of VV 320 with a 6" barrel should get you at or close to 165 PF.

I ran 4.8 gr VV320 with copper JHP, at 1.2" made PF easily in my 5" STI edge.

Why not just load some up at 4.2, 4.4, 4.6, 4.8 and see what you like best. PF for the proam is 125 i think.

Z,

Take your 180 major load and just drop a 165 on it. My major load is about 4.8 with a 180, I take the same settings and drop a MG 155 on the top and presto...a great steel challenge load. It chroned at about 150.

Jay, power factor doesn't matter, pick a load that has the front sight track that you want and forget it. Same goes for a bullet. Loading a specific bullet and/or specific power factor is backwards, find a load that makes the gun do what you want and THEN worry about power factor. Front sight track is THE critical factor.

Jay, power factor doesn't matter, pick a load that has the front sight track that you want and forget it. Same goes for a bullet. Loading a specific bullet and/or specific power factor is backwards, find a load that makes the gun do what you want and THEN worry about power factor. Front sight track is THE critical factor.

+1

I played around with some really light 40 loads 2 years ago when I was shooting a bit more steel. Amazingly I was quicker with 175pf loads than I was at 135pf. I was simply used to the gun at the higher power factor. Stick with what you normally load and you'll do just as well as if you work up a 160pf load.

OK, I will work up a load by feel. I was going to save on shipping and send my Pro-Am ammo with my SS Nats ammo, but need to send the SS ammo ASAP.

I hate having to be patient :angry2:

Thanks for the help and replies guys :cheers:

I just got done chrono'ing a bunch of stuff, in preparation for A6, and just in general, since I hate the process.

6" SVI (which has a slowish barrel, it seems):

Bullet: 180gr JHP Montana Gold

Powder: n320

OAL: 1.180"

4.8gr: 157pf

5.0gr: 167pf

5.2gr: 171pf

Fireant is right about just dropping a lighter bullet on the load -- I have some Zero 165gr FMJ's, and I put one on top of the 5.0gr of n320 load, and it came out to 151pf, and felt great.

Also shot some of my .40 minor loads -- 180gr around 135-140pf feel like shit in this gun; bizarre, really - k-chunk, k-chunk, k-chunk....

As another data-point: Winchester White Box 165gr FMJ's came in around 170pf. Snappy.

Chrono'd with a very nice Oehler (not mine) rented at indoor range at 70-degrees.

Edited by boo radley