Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Acp Reloading Question

AFDAVIS1

I can't reload .45 ACP in my Kimber. The bullets prevent the slide from locking into battery. I have no problem loading my revolver in .38. I've noticed that the barrel does not cover the brass completely when the bullet is fired. So I think it bulges at the bottom and my Dillion resizer does not go that deep on the brass. Is this what you guys refer to as "unsupported" ????? Could it be the lead bullets? If I buy a 625 revolver would I solve this problem? I like my Kimber but it's really expensive to shoot if I can't use reloads

Guest Larry Cazes

What type/weight of bullet are you using and what OAL is the round loaded to? If you remove the barrel from the gun and drop the reloaded rounds into the chamber, are they seating freely or is there interference from the bullet or case to the chamber? Is the rim flush with the chamber mouth or below it? With a little more info Im sure we can help.

I had the exact same problem with my .45's Alot of times you bulge the case when you crimp and this might be part of the problem you are having. Your Dillon should completely size your case, so you might not have your die set all the way down, I set my dies until they touch the shellplate and back it off just to where it is is almost touching, but clear. If all else fails, resize your reloads with a Lee Factory Crimp die, I do that sometimes and have no problems. If all else fails, call Dillon, theres nothing they haven't seen before.

I agree with the suggestions made by Rufus. I assume that you are taper crimping, not roll crimping. You might also try new cases, or a different brand of case if you are already using new cases. The bulge in the base of the case is not completely resized by the resizer die as the plate prevents it. After many reloads this bulge can make revolver cases hard to eject and auto cases fail to go to battery.

Perhaps "bulge" is not the appropriate word. When a safe load is fired the case expands with the heat and then contracts but not necessarily to the same dimension as before. Sizing is supposed to return the case to spec. dimensions but the normal sizing die is prevented from fully resizing the case by the shell plate. That small area which is not resized may not be bulged but will have altered from spec. and enlarged slightly. The more reloads the greater the deviation from spec and hence the resultant tightness in the chamber or cylinder.

While acknowledging that analyzing gun malfunctions via the Internet is an inexact science at best, if I had to take a scientific wildass guess, based on what you're telling us, I'd say you probably over-belled the case mouth, then the crimp die wasn't able to fully compress it back to a taper crimp configuration. Run your fingertip down the ogive of the bullet and back over the case mouth. If you feel a "lip" there, that's your problem. Back out the belling die until it only gives you a gentle flare and that should solve the problem.

BTW I would strongly suggest investing in a case gage to check loaded ammo. This will short-stop those embarrassing failure to feed moments before they happen.

Also check your crimp die adjustment, you don't actually want a " crimp ", just remove the bell.

I have good luck with .469 measured at the case mouth. .469 - .470 should work well.

Travis F.

I have the same problem when using lead bullets in my Springfield . I took and ran them through a sizing die with the decapping pin removed on my Rockchucker and they fed fine . I may have to check how much I am belling the brass to see if that will eliminate that problem . Just out of curiousity though , why would this only happen with lead bullets and not plated as well ?

Rufus you got it...I fixed the problem based on what you said. An embarrasing oversight on my part but I found I was not adjusting the decrimper die deep enough. I'm still having some problems getting the lead bullets into place without damage but I think I can figure that one out. Thanx Alan