Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

John Adams

I started watching the HBO mini series "John Adams" and was just blown away.

The acting, costumes, etc, is all first class.

The subject matter was quite interesting as well.

Everyone knows a little history surrounding the revolutionary war and the Declaration of Independence but this really brought it to life.

T

I was surprised they depicted Benjamin Franky the same as I had read about him.

We have been watching and enjoying it,= taped ,...That is good cuzz we have to keep backing it up to figure out what the main actor is saying. The Acting is good but the pronunciation is hard for me to hear.

• 3 weeks later...

The end of last Sundays episode was great, showing in an understated way how complicated things are now.

John Adams lost his reelection bid and after packing up, he walked out of the White House and caught a public stage coach for the ride back to MA. He walked out without guards and got on a coach full of strangers without guards, etc.

They also showed Adams, jefferson and others walking around the streets of Philadelphia talking without anyone "protecting" them.

A much simpler time.

• 1 month later...

Just rented the DVD's.

Very good production! Very enjoyable! Terrific casting!

I've read several books on this generation and the men involved. I haven't read McCullough's book, but a freind has read this and the one on Franklin and recommends them highly. They're on my short list! The characterizations to my knowledge are spot on.

Would have liked to have seen mention of his letters to Dr. Rush in his retirement years as they tended to show his humor. Also never really understood why he and Franklin disliked each other so much until this movie. The part with him and Franklin in Paris and his reaction finally worked for me!

Also the DVD set has the option to have historical pop-ups thru-out. Great side notes to accompany the visual!!!

Two thumbs way up!!!

Hope they make one like this on Jefferson. The more I read about him the less I like him, ( or at least his political style ) but it would be awesome to see his side expressed so well...