Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A. Maslow provides insight into the motivators of humans. The link below offers more of his thoughts.

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/maslow.html

What would be interesting is to correlate the personality test results from the other thread and the responses to this one. Then do a cross-matrix analysis with each respondent to where the place themselves on Maslow hierarchy.--Sorry, I did not realize I said what I just said----

I bet we could come up with some fairly general statements about competition shooters---

People will generally take the dough for two reasons: obvious self-interest, and more subtly, that the money represents a sacrifice on the part of the employer. Talk is cheap. Tangible rewards are not.

Mistral404 noted a valid point regarding Maslow. In the "Need Hierarchy", most of us need the money more than the praise. At the very least we can find the praise in other areas and it can, therefore, come easier.

To weigh money against praise effectively you must control the other variables such as current salary rate, the size of the bonus and the workplace atmosphere. Sometimes getting respect from the boss in public can have both good and bad consequences for an employee. The motivation of the employer can also skew the results. If the praise isn't indicative of respect, then it isn't really praise.

So....if you have all of your bills paid, lots of financial security and all the guns you want.......do you still want the $.05 an hour bonus......or do you want respect? Makes for a different situation.

Positive reinforcement is the most powerful motivator, but have you considered that the lack of money to meet one's needs (causing stress) can be defined as a negative reinforcer?

Just my 2 pennies. I'm a psychotherapist and a supervisor.......and I want both.

Being of the minority view, respect and recognition are more important to me than financial reward. If your good at what you do...the pay will follow. Earning the reputation is the key to success. ;)

First off, let me state that I work in the hard rock underground mining industry. This industry has a long history of paying a healthy bonus for production. In fact, it is often considered part of the normal wage. As an example, say standard pay for a miner is $20/hr. If he or his crew is planned to drive a drift (tunnel) 100 ft in a month, and he drives 120 ft, he gets a bonus for the extra 20 ft, which can be about 3-5 dollars an hour. This works great in good ground where minimal support, or an enforced support standard is applied. However, at a place like the mine I work, the ground is fair to poor, and often gets pretty bad pretty quickly. If the miner is looking at his bonus, he often neglects any "extra" work needed to keep the drift open. We are still paying for the problems this caused over 3 years ago. When I design a ramp, or major access, we almost always encounter caved or unstable area caused by people neglecting the needed support. We also have to go back and fix many of the problems caused by the previous work. Add to this the attitude of "Screw you I am going to get my bonus!", the financial reward idea does not appeal to me very much. I think that if a financial reward is to be given, it has to be a suprise, and not expexted in a quid pro quo fashion. I am at a mine that is unique in its current bonus structure, where the bonus is transitioning to a preventative safety format. In this case, we are rewarding people for locating and fixing safety hazards. We also are raising the base pay to compensate for the "lost" bonus. So, in effect I am trying to say that I believe the financial reward has its place, but recognition by superiors and peers for a job well done is better all around.

As an Aerospace Manager/Supervisor for well over 15+ years it is praise over $ hands down.($ is relative, it's not how much make, it's how much you spend//if you make more you spend more, if you make less you spend less).

Don't get me wrong here, everyone wants to make more money but I have found that "praise" yeilds better results to boost the morale of my workers then does "money", (after all everyone want's to take pride in their work and be recognized for their skill & expertise, especially in front of their peers).

Praise is a much stonger motivater than $ in the real world of business.

Trust me on this.

College business and real-world business are like night and day.