Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder release return spring

earplug

Just got home after shooting two indoor stages. Both stages started with empty gun on table with mag/moon clip.

Of course I have been practicing my draw at home this week.

I'm still having a problem on the best way to work this problem. I know some wheel gun shooters remove the return spring on the cylinder release. This would make it easier to open the cylinder with my left thumb when I grab the gun with my left hand..

Is there a down side to this?

Just thought about the idea of cutting a coil or two of the locking rod spring, has this been done and is it worthwhile?

Someday I will deal with the missing the target and such minor points. Messing with springs is easier.

Are you right or left handed? On a table start I'll pick up the gun in my right hand and use my thumb to open the latch while my index finger pushes on the cylinder, at the same time I'm picking up the loader or moon with my left hand to do a weak hand reload. This is what is fastest for me being right handed.

I use both hands to get the gun and grab the speedloader with my right hand after the latch has been hit. This way, the guns orientation is not different than during my normal reload and muscle memory takes over. I have tried several ways in practice and it doesn't make any difference in my time vs grabbing the gun left handed.

Gary J.

I know some wheel gun shooters remove the return spring on the cylinder release. This would make it easier to open the cylinder with my left thumb when I grab the gun with my left hand..

Is there a down side to this?

No downside. It's an unnecessary part that I usually remove on a competition gun. Not sure it will make much difference, though. I tend to agree with Gary J., pick up the gun with your shooting hand and execute the load the same way as you would every other reload.

Doesn't matter which way you reload--when you're in the middle of a stage, you always have the gun in your shooting hand at the beginning of every reload, right?--that's why I'm suggesting that you simply grab the gun with your shooting hand, open it up the way you always do and load the gun the way you always do. Under pressure, that's what's probably going to happen anyway.

I usually grab the gun with my thumb and first two fingers of my strong (right) hand. The thumb goes right to the cylinder release and pushes it forward as the gun comes up, and the two fingers slide forward and push the cylinder open. Moon is grabbed with my left and inserted into the gun (this is my normal reload technique). When I'm closing the cylinder I establish my grip.

As to the cylinder release spring, in Jerry's revolversmithing video he clips the spring a coil or two and removes metal from the rear of the release to give it more "play" in the channel cut into the frame. He says this puts less spring pressure on the cylinder assembly and allows it to spin more freely. I did this on a 586 and it gave nice results.

Thanks for the advice, our range has Jerry's Gunsmithing DVD for sale. I'm going to get one.

I usually grab the gun with my thumb and first two fingers of my strong (right) hand. The thumb goes right to the cylinder release and pushes it forward as the gun comes up, and the two fingers slide forward and push the cylinder open. Moon is grabbed with my left and inserted into the gun (this is my normal reload technique). When I'm closing the cylinder I establish my grip.

As to the cylinder release spring, in Jerry's revolversmithing video he clips the spring a coil or two and removes metal from the rear of the release to give it more "play" in the channel cut into the frame. He says this puts less spring pressure on the cylinder assembly and allows it to spin more freely. I did this on a 586 and it gave nice results.

Hi, Earplug. Much of the DVD might be review for you although I still highly recommend it as it is very in depth with close ups to boot.

I've cut 2 coils off all my Smith's and filed the back of the latches with good results.

Hi, Earplug. Much of the DVD might be review for you although I still highly recommend it as it is very in depth with close ups to boot.

I've cut 2 coils off all my Smith's and filed the back of the latches with good results.

I watched the DVD and learned some stuff that was not mentioned at my gunsmith school from 1979. :surprise:

Anyway I cut the locking rod spring and relieved the back of the cylinder release, on my MIM gun there wasn't much metal to remove from the cylinder release.

My practice session from a bench top was most helpfull. Grabbing gun with shooting hand ® and doing my reload the same as a normal stage reload was much cleaner then trying to do a different approach. Just have to remember to put the moon on the right X. :cheers: