Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New grip, MSH return plunger problem

burntcrispy

I've got a new grip. The return plunger (think that's what its called) fit fine in the old grip but is VERY tight in the new grip's MSH. (By return plunger I'm talking about the piece that is directly pushed down by the hammer, it can be seen looking directly into the MSH)

Question: Should I try to bore out the MSH of the new grip to fit this return plunger? If so, how is the best way to do it? Are there different size return plungers? Should I try to shave off metal from my return plunger to fit the MSH?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by burntcrispy

Went from SVI grip to STI. I took a little off the plunger and now the MSH all works fine. But, the trigger is all screwed up. I think the leafs are not matching up like they were in the other grip. The trigger moves freely but with the hammer cocked it doesn't have any take up, just pull a liitle and the hammer falls.

Also, if I pull the trigger and hold the trigger down, then rack the slide it won't reset. Any ideas?

Thanks.

No reset, maybe the grip safety. Also, may not have enough tension on the center leaf. Swapping out the grip is pretty major, basically like starting over.

Make sure all the grip screws are tight and in place, even the little one up front.

No reset is usually the overtravel screw in the trigger, back it out until you can hold the trigger down and cycle the hammer through its travel without it touching the sear....

Mainspring housings on these guns SUCK, big variations in bore size, lots of flash in the bores, and so on. If it gives you problems just get another one, they aren't worth messing with.