Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup Vs. Clays Vs. N320

BigDave

The three powders you usually hear coming up when someone speaks of long loaded 40 S&W (read: > 1.170" OAL) are TG, Clays and N320. Usually, it is also with bullets of a max weight of 180 gr. For those of you who use these powders, could you list your observations regarding things such as (1) metering out of the powder dispenser, (2) chronograph extreme spreads, (3) primer preference (small pistol, small rifle), (4) bullet weights and accuracy at a certain load range, (5) cost/economy, (6) lot to lot consistency, (7) cleanliness. These are all at Major PF loads for Limited.

Since I'm asking, I'll give my observations with Titegroup, since that is all I've ever loaded with.

1) Titegroup meters +/- .01 gr out of my 650

2) " " at 4.5 grs, 1.187" w/ 180gr jacketed has an extreme spread of >15 fps

3) I have only loaded with WSP, no pressure signs.

4) With 180 gr Star JHP's, I have observed accuracy at 35 yards with a 5" SV bull barrel of under 1.5"

5) Loading at 4.5 grains, I can get over 1200 loaded round per pound, $14-16 per pound.

6) consistent

7) when loaded at Major with 180's and 165's, very clean barrel, muzzle gets grey/brown

Concur with your observatations on TG............

Very energetic (34% nitroglycerin content) which is why it has that robust report some find distracting. Extremely consistant as your findings suggest. Snappy, as the event gets done in a hurry, which allows for nice and positive sight tracking. THE smokiest with lead (as if you needed that).

N320.......good stuff as with most V V powders. Emits some sparks which is also distracting. Super clean powder both in the measure and post firing. In my analysis, it is a premium powder with a premium price, but nothing Titegroup or WST cannot achieve.

Clays......too fast for 40 major, but THE BEST in minor (IDPA/ESP) with 180's!

Let me add some observation's about WST.

Meters as well as TG. Not nearly as cheap as TG (but what is)? Shoots slower (.1 or .2 grains) than TG. Feels softer......maybe.....or is it because it doesn't roar like TG?. Sights track like a much slower powder in a lazy arch. Low flash. Not nearly as much smoke as TG with lead. Super low SD's with 180 lead FP's.

Side Note: Both TG and WST require about .4 or more grains with Star FMJ-FP's for the same power factor as lead!

I load 4.5 TG/lead, 4.9/FMJ and 4.6 WST/lead, 4.9/FMJ, all at 1.180 for my Kimber.

As always work YOUR loads in YOUR gun up slowly as your mileage may vary.

TR

I just switched from N320 to Titegroup. I tend to like the snappier action of the Titegroup. I switched not so much because of the price as the ease of getting the Titegroup (there have been times when N320 has been hard to find). Anyway, I have loaded my Star 180 CEB's to 1.200" with 4.8 grns of Titegroup. I am getting a consistent 935 fps. It feels nice and soft and the sight tracks great (for me). I can shoot it more accurately than the N320 load.

My lead practice loads with Titegroup are VERY smokey. But I can deal with that. I don't think the Titegroup is very dirty (i have shot dirtier powders. So far, in my 550, it has been metering very consistently. I am very pleased with the TItegroup. I have also tried it with 165s and really like the feel of that load. I will experiment with them more in the future.

My N320 loads had the same AOL. My normal load was 5.2 grns. It metered consistently as long as I really didn't speed up on the loading. This load would average about 950fps. To me, this load did not cycle the gun as quickly and the recoil seemed a lot stronger than the Titegroup - more pronounced. It made tracking the sight a little harder - for me. The N320 does cost more - 8lbs costs about $30.00 more than 8lbs of Titegroup.

Those are my observations. Take care.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite powder. I load 4.8 grs with a 180 Rainier HP bullet in my .40 Kimber. OAL is 1.200". I mostly shoot a Glock 35 now. I use 4.3 grs with the same bullet at a 1.125" OAL. Just can't justify the cost of the VV powders. TG costs me $82 for 8 lbs.

• 9 years later...