Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI grip reassembly

burntcrispy

I'm trying to get the grip back on my SV. When I took it off I had to tap the bushings out of the grip. I didn't pay attention to how they were configured. Are they supposed to be flush with the metal on the inside of the grip? They seem to be very tight and are not fitting flush from the inside. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

They should be flush with the backside of the metal surrounding the hole (not with the metal directly above the hole which steps inward). I usually hold the bushing with one finger while inserting the screw with the other. Typically as you screw in the grip screw the bushing will pull itself into place.

I'm not sure what you mean. From the inside of the grip (where the magazine is inserted) is the metal of the bushing going to be flush (flat) against the metal of the frame? If not it looks like the magazine might rub against the bushing. The bushings are really tight going back into the holes.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure what you mean. From the inside of the grip (where the magazine is inserted) is the metal of the bushing going to be flush (flat) against the metal of the frame? If not it looks like the magazine might rub against the bushing. The bushings are really tight going back into the holes.

Thanks again.

I think I know what the confusion is about here. The inside of the frame/grip actually has two levels with a step in it. As you look down from above you're seeing the smaller opening (the frame). If you were to follow that downwards you'd find where there is a step and the size of the opening gets larger. That's at the level of the grip screw bushings. The flat section of the bushings seats along the underside of that ledge so that they don't turn when you tighten the grip screws. Once you've tightened the grip screws, the bushings will be beyond flush with the top section of the frame as you look downwards....you won't be able to see them if you look straight down the side and if you put your finger on them you'll feel that they are recessed so the magazine can't contact them.

Often what happens is that you get them lined up with the flat section on the top and as you start to tighten the grip screws, they turn just enough that they won't seat down beyond flush and they're slightly sticking out. Loosen the screws and then really make sure you hold them in place so that the flat section can bear against the ledge as you tighten the screws and they'll suck right down into the grip nicely.

Oh, make sure you check them after you've shot a hundred or two rounds through the gun....they have a habit of working loose right after you've first put the gun back together. I've heard purple locktight works great to prevent this, but haven't been able to find any locally so far. R,

Bart,

Get Loctite #242. Numbers are easier than colors. :D

Thanks for the tip on the loctite.

Mine always seem to come loose after a few hundred rounds. And yes, for me numbers work better than colors. ( I don't know why )

Bart,

Get Loctite #242. Numbers are easier than colors. :D

Thanks for the tip on the loctite.

Mine always seem to come loose after a few hundred rounds. And yes, for me numbers work better than colors. ( I don't know why )

Numbers are outside the bottle, colors inside. :P

I just use blue (label should be this color) on anything that doesn't get real hot. SV grips are very tight and you could maybe not get the holes lined up too. Brandon told me they use a plastic block inserted in the grip where the grip safety goes and then lightly tap it off the frame. Of course being in a shop with jigs is always better. When mine was new I wasn't sure I could ever get the grip off!