Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I make legal copies of my Xbox games?

So my son and I love Halo 3 for Xbox 360. After about 2 months, it stops working, despite cleaning.

The clerk at the game store looks at it and says that the Xbox made a ring on it and they won’t exchange it. Talking to the manager didn’t help. It’s a $60 game!

So is there anyway to make back up copies of my games for this type of situation?

Please use small words because I’m tech-slow :unsure: Thanks.

Xbox games are basically DVDs. I can't remember which format Microsoft uses, either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Using a dvd copying program will work the same as copying a dvd. The trick is you usually have to have software to break the encryption. While it sounds like that would be hard to find, it can be found by a google search.

Adam

afterdawn.com has free copies of DVD shrink. It is DVD copying software. Unfortunately I do not believe it is legal to make copies of dvds or cds even if you purchased the material in the first place. Doesnt seem fair, but I believe that is the rule.

You may be right Kraut. I heard something on a tech show recently about music purchased online in mp3 format not being copied to cd and I might have spun that around in my head. I know what your saying IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

I thought it was perfectly legal, only copying for distribution purposes is illegal...

Correct - under copyright law.

I can legally make backups for myself, but I can't copy them and give them to friends.

By making a back up copy, the developer does not lose a sale or revenue - not true if I sell or give copies away.

If you were to make a copy it won't work.

Unless you "mod" your xbox.

however if you mod your xbox and play online, you xbox and gamertag will be banned forever.

I have had similar problems with various games getting a ring scratched into the disc. ( I think I switched games about 11 times already)

Now I either buy games from Toys r Us and get insurance on it, or Best Buy and when I need to exchange I tell them that I just got this as a gift and the game is scratched.

Also try to always get a gift receipt. Works for when you need to Bullshit them for a new disc.

And try to keep your xbox on a level surface with nothing on top of it or in a vertical stand.

Good luck.

Actually the 360 causing the rings is a manufacturers defect. You've got first generation hardware...you should return it to MS and get a new xbox as the one you've got will eventually ruin any disks you put into it. The tray can be replaced if you don't feel like hassling with returning it to microsoft, but it requires opening the box and voiding your warranty.

As for playing backed up games, you'll need special software to copy the DVD image, and you'll need to mod your xbox to get the copied game to play. If you don't mind being technically illegal, you can download the image off a pirating website and save yourself the hassle of copying it yourself...actually since you've got the scratch ring, it might not be possible to copy it anyway. In any event that's the easy part, the modding is a bit more difficult. You can go to google and start researching it, but it's far more in-depth than you'd want to read in a forum post.

All things considered, I'd call up Microsoft and see if they can provide you with a replacement for the ruined disk...and you'll definitely want to return your xbox, or you're going to be dealing with this issue a lot.