Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Cuts - Novice Question

ChrisStock

Time to show my lack of knowledge again, so be gentle, please :)

I plan on having some work done to my SA 1911, and before I take the plunge, I have what might be considered a silly question.

I am trying to figure out the difference between a Novak and a Bo-Mar cut so that I can order sights that are a tad more friendly than the stock mil-spec ones. Obviously the slide will have to be cut for whatever sights I choose, and I don't know which cut to have done. A diagram/picture of the two cuts side by side would be helpful and would be worth a more than a thousand words, but I am obviously having trouble digging up what I need.

Are there specific pros/cons with either cut?

Everyone has to start somewhere, so here I am. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

The BoMar type sight is the preferred and most common adjustable sight on competition guns. OTOH, the Novak cut is easier to do (or so I think. I wouldn't know where to start cutting) and there are a variety of sights that fit it (Novak, LPA, Heinie, Champion/STI, YO-BO) including some adjustables.

A matter of taste and budget. Good luck!

B)

A bit off topic maybe :unsure: but can my 1911 slide with a Novak rearsight be recut to a Bomar cut without any welding?

Or do my gunsmith have to weld up the Novak cut first, and then make a Bomar cut?

A bit off topic maybe :unsure: but can my 1911 slide with a Novak rearsight be recut to a Bomar cut without any welding?

Or do my gunsmith have to weld up the Novak cut first, and then make a Bomar cut?

I believe that the Novak cut would have to be welded up to then recut it for Bomars.

A matter of taste and budget. Good luck!

B)

Who needs luck when they've gotten advice and pointers all the way from my pal Nemo? :cheers:

With his assistance, I found a set I like, the rear coming back ordered from Midway, and the front from Dawson next week.

• 4 months later...

I believe that the Novak cut would have to be welded up to then recut it for Bomars.

Just a follow up question on the off topic question, can a gunsmith just move the bomar sights like in the case of the TRP in which the Bo-mar is way upfront.

Just a follow up question on the off topic question, can a gunsmith just move the bomar sights like in the case of the TRP in which the Bo-mar is way upfront.

im sure they could move it up but that may adversly affect the sight radius(distance btween the sights, longer is better for accuracy). it would have to be pretty far up also. i installed the champion adjustable rear sight in my trp and seems to work great and no milling was needed or fitting. i tapped it right in.

I have a SA with a Novak that I want a Bomar on. I came up with an idea I plan to implement soon. My plan is to get a .500 piece of bar stock, cut it with a 65° dovetail cutter on two sides to create a "dovetail adapter." I'll then mill the dovetail off a Bomar, mill the slide with the adapter in place for a Bomar sans the dovetail, then drill and tap the adapter so that I can attach the modified Bomar to it. I'll refinish the adapter and sightsight with Dura Coat.

I'll post pics when I do it if anyone is interested.

i'm starting to build a new one, and brownell's has got a new bomar knockoff that's just windage adjustable, then you lock it down w/setscrews. sounds interesting, just hate when the standard bomars break..........