Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing

silvery37

I recently bought a timer and Anderson's dry fire drills book. Compared to where I would like to be I am rather slow. The first drill in the book where you draw and obtain a sight picture my par time is around 1.3. From what I have read and from the clips and movies I have watched my technique is decent. My question is do the tenths just start to fall off after doing the drills thousands of times or do I need to make major changes to my technique to reduce my time?

I found has I got more relaxed while doing the drill less focus on going fast I was able to go faster. Being tense and really trying to fling the gun up at the target added time to a decent sight picture because of the bounce at the end.

If you have taped yourself look for unneeded movement after the beep.

Listen for the beep and start your movement at the start of the beep. Get your support hand to the center of your chest so you can mount the gun at eye level and push it out seeing the sights.

Stay relaxed like I said above and the time will just peel off.

Have fun with it

<_< Peal off :unsure: I think I am a good Poster boy Man for = anyone can -Do It- if you stick with it.

I did not learn as fast a most , but the skill did come. Things do not come to me easy or fast , but when I do Finlay (understand) and capture that skill it stays with me and I don't louse it.

Mix up what you practice and practice transitions stopping the gun and moving on. Set the timer with enough time to get to two more targets after the first. practice getting to all three. What I found was to get my first shot time down it ended up eating into my transition time to the second target. Like at Steel Challenge , its the time to last plate that counts for score, the time to first shot is mostly Ego.

With constant practice, your technique will smoothen out, giving way to dropping tenths on the drills. You are also building familiarity with your gear and its positioning on your body...another time saver. If you are concerned about practicing proper technique, post a video of your draws, reloads, etc here on the forums. You will get top shooter feedback.

Anderson talks about having a sense of 'urgency' to get the job done. This isn't a jerky hurriedness, it's eliminating wasted time hands-to-gun, gun out of holster, front sight in line of vision, then finally the acceptable sight picture. Envision one smooth, flowing movement, beep to sight picture. Rushing and muscle tension will slow you down.

Try doing a couple of draws 'relaxed & smooth', without the timer. Then set your usual par time and see how the 'relaxed and smooth' draw compares to that time.

+1 to Pharaoh Bender's suggestion re: video for review. You'll get tons of feedback.

[edit for spelling]

Edited by FranDoc

I have found that for me the better I get the harder it is to shave off tenths here

and there. It really puts perspective on how much dedication to practice the top dogs

must have when you put in like 30 hours into some task to shave off 2 tenths..

It really puts perspective on how much dedication to practice the top dogs

And that is a lot of what separates "them" from "us", ie. the will to do whatever has to be done.

It really puts perspective on how much dedication to practice the top dogs

And that is a lot of what separates "them" from "us", ie. the will to do whatever has to be done.

Thats right. and they are not on the forum right now, they are putting in that 30 hours somewhere !! :D

Right now somewhere outthere your competitor is out working on beating you while you sit on the forum !! :lol:

I agree with you all 110%. Commitment not just by saying it but by doing it in action. Dry fire made me better and had pick up some speed and more relax everytime I am getting ready to shoot the stage as I know that I am more confident of what I needed to do and will make your transition better from point A to point B.