Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for practice ammo - 9MM

RUSHARP2

Hey all,

Just joined the site and the sport. Bought my first handgun, a Glock 34. Hit the range tonight and was lucky enough to wander into a IPSC meeting. They welcomed me, and let me shoot the last two stages.

Now to my point, are there any suggestions on what ammo to use for practice? I can get the winchester for 18.99/100 at WalMart, the guy at the gun shop recommended Blaser Brass(13.50/50 at the shop, found on the internet for 8.99/50), and I used a Fiocchi as range ammo a couple weeks ago. All 115grs FMJ.

Of course the cheaper the box, the more I can shoot. But I still would like quality rounds.

If I missed something when I searched and this has been covered please direct me to it.

Matt

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

WWB (Winchester White Box) 100 round value packs are probably the most popular factory ammo going. It's fairly inexpensive (by todays pricing) and functions well in almost every gun out there. It's brass cased so it's reloadable if you ever get into that (start saving your brass now, btw) and usually pretty easy to come by. The CCI brass (Blazer) seems to be loaded a little hotter and IMO, is a bit cleaner. I haven't shot any factory Fiocchi in so long I don't remember much about it other than the case I ran through my gun didn't give me any problems.

For the games we play I'd suggest the WWB value packs (if it runs in your gun) and save the brass. If you get even a little serious about IPSC/IDPA you'll most likely end up with a reloading press in a year or so. None of this requires sub minute of angle 100 yard accuracy and chances are any of the brands you mentioned are more than capable of shooting better than you can, at least at this point.

Another one to keep an eye out for is Remington at Dick's Sports. Sometimes they run 1/2 case or full case specials that are pretty good prices (sub 7.50 per box if you buy 500 or 1,000 rounds).

Roam around the forums, read, ask questions and enjoy! This site is chock full of info!!!

Edit: BTW, where are you from? Maybe you can get hooked up with someone else from the board sometime.

Edited by SLM

First, Welcome !

Second, your question:

I like to use the same thing in practice I do for a match. I load my own so I don't change anything. If I shot factory, I'd use the same ammo for bothe matches and practice.

As far as buying factory, I'd try to find the best deal I could for the ammo that was the most accurate from my gun. Winchester, CCI, Federal. Whatever.

SLM makes a very good point. SAVE YOUR BRASS. One day you will get into reloading and you will be glad you saved it. If you decide not to reload, you can usually sell once fired brass and recoop some $'s.

Roswell, GA---- basically Atlanta.

Figured I would get a dillon 650 after I shoot for a while. I have heard the stories about the glocks not liking used brass so I wanted to stay away until I have had lots of practice with the gun.

Matt

Roswell, GA---- basically Atlanta.

Figured I would get a dillon 650 after I shoot for a while. I have heard the stories about the glocks not liking used brass so I wanted to stay away until I have had lots of practice with the gun.

Matt

Matt,

First off, welcome!

Glocks tend to run fine with used brass...the problem usually happens when you try taking brass that's been fired in a Glock and reload it for use in a gun with a tight chamber (match barrel). To enhance feeding reliability Glocks have generous chambers that allow the case to expand more upon firing than some other designs. If you do get a Dillon, get an undersized resizing die (U-die) from Evolution Gun Works. The U-die will resize the case all the way down so that it should function in anything and it will almost definitely work in your Glock. 9mm Glocks aren't as bad about this as .40 is, but it's still worth avoiding by using the U-die.

Even without the U-die, if you recover your own brass for reloading, it will usually work fine in your gun. I never had a problem using my own brass from my Glock 22 when I'd reload it using standard Dillon dies. R,