Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right or Left Eye?

shooter757

Yesterday I went to the range and I shot thirty rounds at 12yards on one target using my right eye and thirty rounds on another target using only my left eye. I used a Glock26 (subcompact 9mm).

I am a right handed shooter and my left eye is dominant. I was shooting in a slightly modified weaver stance.

Check these targets out. In which direction should I focus on?

Left Eye

post-14007-1205014225.jpg

Right Eye

post-14007-1205014245.jpg

Edited by Glock Armorer

i think i should stop being cock-eyed and learn to shoot with my right eye

hahaha. There are a lot of people in the same boat as you. You can train your right eye to become dominant. Some people have an easier time of it than others. If you do a search on the subject you should come up with many threads discussing the topic.

+1 to doing a little digging here on the forums. I'm right handed but left-eye dominant. Taking a page from greater shooters, I have placed a little piece of tape in the fovial field of my left eye side of my shooting glasses. This forces my right eye to do the heavy lifting when focusing on the front sight, yet allows me to keep both eyes open while shooting.

+1 to doing a little digging here on the forums. I'm right handed but left-eye dominant. Taking a page from greater shooters, I have placed a little piece of tape in the fovial field of my left eye side of my shooting glasses. This forces my right eye to do the heavy lifting when focusing on the front sight, yet allows me to keep both eyes open while shooting.

I used to use the tape and it worked great. I'm rigth eye dominant and left handed. I was able to switch over and start using my right eye very easily and love that I don't have to use tape anymore.

Also do alittle searching on the forums about shooting stance.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

Curiosity sets in. Why not just move the gun over? Same question for Flyin40. BTW i'm righty but left eye dom. (searched for reasons shooter switch but no result)

Thanks.

I am right handed and left eye dominant myself, and I would suggest that you practice with both eyes. It appears that you are a good shooter with both, so why not train both?

A big reason that I train both eyes is that I was trained to shoot with both eyes open for self-defense shooting. I have never had a problem with my eyes "fighting" for dominance. Training both eyes actually helped me out at a couple of matches, as I wear contacts and in the middle of a stage my left one went blurry. Without thinking about it I switched over to my right eye and finished the stage and never missed a beat. You have to find what works best for you in the end.

Edited by Blueridge

Curiosity sets in. Why not just move the gun over? Same question for Flyin40. BTW i'm righty but left eye dom. (searched for reasons shooter switch but no result)

Thanks.

There is also quite a few people( I was one of them) who has cross dominance. I'm thinking I created this situation for myself. Being new to shooting pistols and from the old shooting school of closing one eye I found this site and read alot. I put the tape over my right eye and it solved my problem. I made Master this way and had some good finishes at some majors matches. The more I learned I would occasionally try using no tape it wouldn't work. I would get double images. I think a yr or two ago I found some threads about shooting with my dominant eye even if your using your opposite hand. I tried it and no luck. My left eye was just as dominant as my right because I had been using tape over my right. Neither eye would be able to take over, just fight back and forth. Last year I quit shooting early, the 1st weekend in September and didn't touch my pistols until end of January. My eyes got a 5 month rest from the tape and my right eye went back to being my dominant eye. I started dryfiring and just moving the gun over in front of my right eye.

In the beginning I had my shirt tucked in tight inside my belt and held the shirt in my teeth. I did this to keep from turning my head sideways to make it easier to see. If I wouldn't keep my head centered I would feel the pull on the shirt. I wanted to make sure I was bringing the gun to my head and not my head to the gun. I have shot two matchs so far and its worked great, even shot a 95% classifier last match.

Hope this helps you understand it better.

Flyin

Same issue, same fix. It works great after you get used to it.