Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a 75 round Drum to avoid reloads?

hartzpad

I'm going to be trying 3 gun for my first time next month and because I only have .308's and 7.62x39 rifles, I'm going to be using my Kreb's Custom KTR-03S AK with an EOTECH. Because the AK's biggest disadvantage when competing with AR's is increased recoil for follow up shots and magazine changes, I was thinking that I could just use one of my 75 round drums. This would keep me from running into problems with the slower AK magazine changes and while the increased weight might slow me down on the closer targets, it would definitely help with follow up shots and would also be lower profile for longer shots while prone or using a bipod than the 30 round AK mag.

Any suggestions? Seems like a great idea as long as it is not too cumbersome. Do people use Beta mags in AR's in 3 Gun?

I messed around with a drum in my KTR-03S today and it is not as unwieldy as I expected, even with the VFG installed in front of the drum. I think this is the ticket and the EOTECH should help with some of the longer shots compared to the KTR AR iron sights.

You mean you don't do your AK mag changes like this guy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qkg530TvniA

:blink:

LOL!

My mag changes on my AK are just a hair slower than that guy, LOL. That was crazy.

What the hell is wrong with that guy ?? Holy Cr%p !! Whats with the wild flip in the begining ??

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and that guy needs to lay off the caffine ! :lol:

Great vid...

You mean you don't do your AK mag changes like this guy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qkg530TvniA

:blink:

LOL!

My mag changes on my AK are just a hair slower than that guy, LOL. That was crazy.

What the hell is wrong with that guy ?? Holy Cr%p !! Whats with the wild flip in the begining ??

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and that guy needs to lay off the caffine ! :lol:

Great vid...

I think the crazy flip to the side is to generate enough energy to flip the mag out of the well on the downstroke. And it's definately an AN-92. The mag is offset to the left when seated.

40 rounder magazines in 7.62x39mm for an AK are cheap and very reliable - so long as they are not US-made.

A 40 will let you avoid a reload most of the time because stage designers are usually stuck in the mind-set of building 32 round stages to force most AR shooters to either do a reload or use a Beta.