Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stiff thumb..ouch!

Model19

I know this has probably been talked to death, but what the heck. I shot my first IDPA classifier Sunday with my 2.5" K using .357 loads that are strong enough to meet the min PF. 158gr LRN if that makes any difference. By late Sunday afternoon back at home my flippin' thumb had stiffened up and was sore as all get out. The current grips are Pachmayr Grippers which cover the backstrap. There is no obvious lump or high spot on the grips that hits me funny. Is this just a case of toughening up my hand and getting used to it (kind of like getting back on a racing road bicycle seat... :wacko: ) or should I be looking for different grips to try?

Other than that....what a blast that was!

It could be your sit bones are just out of shape. :blush:

You didn't say if it was your weak hand or strong hand or if you shot all double action or were thumb-cocking. If there are no apparent external scrapes, bumps or burns it may just be out-of-shape soreness.

I had a problem with my strong hand thumb (I'm right handed). During short matches my thumb would get sore. During long matches my thumb would split and bleed at the nail.

I finally figured out that my thumb was being hit by the recoil shield when firing. My grip is very high and my thumbs may be a little longer than average. I superglue a strip of rubber foam (high density stuff like weather stripping) on the backside of the recoil shield and this closes the gap and provides just enough cushion to keep my thumb from hurting.

It looks pretty ghetto, and may even be illegal in IDPA, but it's just a thought.

You didn't say if it was your weak hand or strong hand or if you shot all double action or were thumb-cocking. If there are no apparent external scrapes, bumps or burns it may just be out-of-shape soreness.

I had a problem with my strong hand thumb (I'm right handed). During short matches my thumb would get sore. During long matches my thumb would split and bleed at the nail.

I finally figured out that my thumb was being hit by the recoil shield when firing. My grip is very high and my thumbs may be a little longer than average. I superglue a strip of rubber foam (high density stuff like weather stripping) on the backside of the recoil shield and this closes the gap and provides just enough cushion to keep my thumb from hurting.

It looks pretty ghetto, and may even be illegal in IDPA, but it's just a thought.

Strong hand, all fired double action. It's the "meat"(?) or base of the thumb. The place they tell you to use as a comparison to see how done your steak is. Mmmm..steak :P But back on topic, I hope it's just muscles getting used to the recoil. I thought about getting some Hogues, but I see they are all open backstrap, which I do not think will help.

Just sounds like startup soreness. I don't know about IDPA power factors, but you might try a match or two with 38 Special loads until you toughen up a bit.

You wouldn't want to get a flinch started. ;)

GIRLY HANDS

C'mon, I thought you North country boys were tough?????

Now in all seriousness, you need to work on your grip you are holding too loose so the gun is banging that thumb. It is not going to heal if you don't grip better. For SSR in IDPA you need a 158gr 38spl +P load to make PF. You don't need magnums. I shot a couple he man IDPA revo matches which were full power mag loads from a 2.5" revolver. No hand pain at all. It is all in the grip.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

There was a discussion about the S&W 625 JM wood grip/stocks. Some shooters had a thumb problem such as you describe.

The thickness of the upper part of the grip may be your problem. The base of your thumb needs to be thinned so the grip can recoil without hitting any muscle. Or you may try thinning the grip where your thumb wraps around the stocks.

You said they met minimum power factor, we are talking 125 pf right? At 125 PF a K frame should feel like an airsoft gun. :lol:

Something doesn't seem right. I shoot K and L frames with Miculek grips and 135 PF and it really is soft shooting. These loads are from a 4" gun. I don't know how much snap a 2 1/2" would give but it should be close.

If you're using 125-135 PF loads, the recoil isn't the problem. It could be that your hand is "out of shape", or it could be that your hand doesn't like the Grippers. Pachmayr Grippers have a squarish shape that might work okay for single-action shooting, but I can't stand them for double-action. The Hogues are much better for DA shooting IMO. I've shot IDPA matches with my 2" M10 with the Uncle Mike's concealment grips and had no problems; those grips were designed by Craig Spegel, who makes outstanding revolver grips.

Most of us have a grip drawer right next to the drawer into which we throw holsters that didn't work. ;)

Welcome to SSR!

Where are you positioning your thumb and how hard are you grasping the gun?

Using 357 Magnum lead bullet loads in a 2" K frame is about as hard as you can work in SSR. Heavy recoil, toxic vapors, long cases and short ejector rod & sight radius are all working against you. I admire your fortitude, but using 38 Specials in a 4" L-frame is a much easier place to start.

I use the same grips you do, but every hand is different. The covered backstrap really works for me.

If you can make it to one of the S&W club matches (2nd & 4th Thursday PM, 4th Sat AM) and introduce yourself, I'll be happy to show you what works for me.

See you at the ME States in October.

Craig

Edited by Bones

Thanks for all the input. The loads are not all that hot and controllability was not an issue at all, which probably rules out the load itself. They are closer to .38+P in reality. I use .357 brass only because I have a couple of older .38's and I do not want to accidentally use the heavier loads in them.

I think I need to work on firming up my grip as part of the fix. That makes sense. More "seat" time will also toughen up my paw. I've been dry firing like mad, but that does not help with this issue. I'm not overly in love with the Pachmayr's so I'll be trying some other options too. Personally I like wood grips for appearance and ease of carry. And yeah, I have a box of holsters and a few grips for my various Revo's that were tested and eliminated from use. :cheers:

Thanks for all the input. The loads are not all that hot and controllability was not an issue at all, which probably rules out the load itself. They are closer to .38+P in reality. I use .357 brass only because I have a couple of older .38's and I do not want to accidentally use the heavier loads in them.

I think I need to work on firming up my grip as part of the fix. That makes sense. More "seat" time will also toughen up my paw. I've been dry firing like mad, but that does not help with this issue. I'm not overly in love with the Pachmayr's so I'll be trying some other options too. Personally I like wood grips for appearance and ease of carry. And yeah, I have a box of holsters and a few grips for my various Revo's that were tested and eliminated from use. :cheers:

To get an idea of which grips you use are they like these??

66-1bobbed.jpg

If they're not, they oughta be. :) Those are the Pachmayr Presentation Compac grips. I had a 2-1/2" M66 for a while with those grips, and shooting Federal 125 grain .357 Mag JHPs was actually comfortable.

Strong hand, all fired double action. It's the "meat"(?) or base of the thumb. The place they tell you to use as a comparison to see how done your steak is. Mmmm..steak :P But back on topic, I hope it's just muscles getting used to the recoil. I thought about getting some Hogues, but I see they are all open backstrap, which I do not think will help.

On all my SW's, I cut and fit a piece of that "sandpaper surface" grip material for the left side of the frame behind the cylinder, just above the grip (I also use pachmayr decelerator grips). That gives you a rough surface to nest your thumbs against if you want to. If the thumb stays put relative to the gun, the gun won't be driving back into the base of the thumb as hard.

If they're not, they oughta be. :) Those are the Pachmayr Presentation Compac grips. I had a 2-1/2" M66 for a while with those grips, and shooting Federal 125 grain .357 Mag JHPs was actually comfortable.

Mine are the grooved version. I have a set of those that I have not tried yet. Maybe I should. I have big hands (I'm 6'6") and grips can be a problem for me. Big enough to work really well and they don't conceal worth a damn. I shoot IDPA and try to keep to the spirit of the game in my equipment choices. Unlike some guys I shoot with. But that's a different story!

I have a set of modified stock Magna's on my 4" that I've been whittling on for better speedloader clearance. I'm not happy with the mods yet, but the size of the grips is great.

I know that Jerry's grips sure whack me good.Right at the first knuckle of my thumb,I'm sore for days.Thats with pretty mild loads too.I've got pretty large hands,but they're not very meaty.My one Aunt used to say that I had piano players hands...lol.I've had pretty good luck with the big Pachmayr Presentations,although the Hogues aren't bad.I was thinking about ordering a set of Herrett Jordan Troopers,but for the money,I don't think they'll do anything that the Presentations won't do.-Mike

For those who like the feel of rubber Hogues, but like a covered backstrap, the grips sold by S&W to fit the giant X-frame .460s and .500s will actually fit just fine on an N-frame RB. I'm not sure if this holds true with a K- or L-frame, but it might be worth a try.

For those who like the feel of rubber Hogues, but like a covered backstrap, the grips sold by S&W to fit the giant X-frame .460s and .500s will actually fit just fine on an N-frame RB. I'm not sure if this holds true with a K- or L-frame, but it might be worth a try.

I got out my X frame grip that I had bought back when I injured my thumb on my 625. I didn't think that they would fit on my K frame but they did and tightened up just fine. My K frame is a round butt. I don't like the grips because they are large and my hands are small but they are the ticket for an injured thumb.

Mine are the grooved version. I have a set of those that I have not tried yet. Maybe I should. I have big hands (I'm 6'6") and grips can be a problem for me. Big enough to work really well and they don't conceal worth a damn. I shoot IDPA and try to keep to the spirit of the game in my equipment choices. Unlike some guys I shoot with. But that's a different story!

I have a set of modified stock Magna's on my 4" that I've been whittling on for better speedloader clearance. I'm not happy with the mods yet, but the size of the grips is great.

The pic I showed is my IDPA gun and my carry gun. The grips work very well for my old arthritic hands and with 158gr 357Mag JSP factory loads, I can shoot a four stage match with no problems.

On the 2.5" the finger groove gripper model may not be allowing you to hold high enough. Take a look at THIS and adapt it to your shooting. It may help.

I also have a box of grips. We can get together at some New England match and I will let you try some.

One last thing, the newer Gripper models are called Decelerator. They have gel inserts like the "X" frame models.

BTW: Steel this Sunday in Woburn MA I won't be there but I bet 10MMDAVE will. http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/sho...ead.php?t=32424 Send a PM to 10MMDAVE here if you need more info.

Regards,

Gary

I put that set of Presentation grips on the 2.5" this morning and will try them out at the club tonight. Just dry firing, I can feel some difference between the two grips. The Grippers seem to be more squared off over the backstrap in comparision and that might be the issue for me. Neither are real nice looking, bottom line is function over form for me.

I put that set of Presentation grips on the 2.5" this morning and will try them out at the club tonight. Just dry firing, I can feel some difference between the two grips. The Grippers seem to be more squared off over the backstrap in comparision and that might be the issue for me. Neither are real nice looking, bottom line is function over form for me.

Last night showed that the Presentation's are a bit better. Might still be that my hand is still a bit sore. A friend who was a cop for many years back when .38's and .357's where the only thing being used and who has launched a great many magnums downrange suggests that I try some big wooden grips like the factory combat style. So I've learned a few things and raised a few more questions.. aint life grand!

Last night showed that the Presentation's are a bit better. Might still be that my hand is still a bit sore. A friend who was a cop for many years back when .38's and .357's where the only thing being used and who has launched a great many magnums downrange suggests that I try some big wooden grips like the factory combat style. So I've learned a few things and raised a few more questions.. aint life grand!

I used those grips for years on my duty gun. We carried 19s and used Supervel Ammo. Hot stuff. As the range Officer I got to shoot a lot of magnums and would never recommend the wood stocks to anyone. They were too large at the base and sharp on the sides. They were pretty and worked for bulls eye but not for combat style shooting with magnum loads.

Toughen up those hands and stick to the grips you have right now to see if you can get used to them.