Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Gear Question

Jeeper

Sorry if this is kinda stupid. When you are at home dryfiring do you wear glasses and ear proptection? What about loading mags with dummy rounds to get the weight more accurate? I was just thinking about this today while dryfiring.

No eye or ear protection hear,,,I'm focusing more on repeating efficient and smooth movements, especially when working on mag changes and draws. I don't worry much about putting dummies in,,,,In fact I don't want anything resembling a round in the room with me.....my preference.

In the end when the buzzer goes off, I don't notice the weight,,,,to busy focusing on executing the plan I've been churning over in my head.....besides at 6'3" 3-something,,,,I better be able to handle a mag, if I can't I need to do some more 12 oz weight lifting..... :D

Just kidding,,,,I simply don't notice the weight.

I do want to be able to repeat the same efficient and smooth movements everytime.

Thanks,

H4444

I used weighted mags and eye protection. Of course if I want to actually see the sights I HAVE to wear eye protection. Otherwise there is just this blurry image out there... :(

I don't always wear my shooting glasses though because I don't want to change out the lenses so I can see indoors.

I weight my mags with dummy rounds that I made up accidentally one day when the battery was dead in my Dillon primer warning system and I didn't know it. I just shook the powder out of the primer hole and filled the primer pocket with hot melt glue. Work great. I colored the hot glue and the base of the case with a magic marker to help identify them from live rounds.

I think the answer about using a weighted magazine would come down to the question, can you notice a difference in the balance or weight of your gun? If you can then I would recommend practicing dryfire with a "full mag." I shoot a glock and a mag full of 147 9mm's makes a pretty big difference in the balance of the gun so I a batch of dummies with already fired primers and bullets seated super short.

I don't wear either eye protection or ear protection.

Put dummy rounds in those mags for sure. It takes extra effort to seat a loaded maggie.

Also, I don't drop empties when practicing reloads. I just start with an empty gun. Push the button and load the mag. Saves wear on the mags and the wasted time of picking them up.

I use loaded mags in the gun for every drill not requiring a reload, though.

SA

I never use dummies or (dummy) loaded mags. the extra adrenaline when shooting a match seems to magically take care of any extra force necessary over empty mags.

Eye and ear protection only if I expect to AD :lol:

--Detlef