Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intensity

Catfish

On the other hand, the Burner looks as though he could spit nails and leak razor blades when he shoots, it must work for him.

That's funny and true. But if you ever see a clear view of the Burner's face while he's shooting, you'll see his eyes are wide open - intensely aware of everything that is going on. And if you've ever had the good fortune to see him play hacky-sack, you'd see that's how the Burner does everything. He'd kill himself before letting the sack hit the ground - diving over tables and through chairs if necessary.

;)

This is such an interesting topic. I hear it so many times, a person saying they shot great when they really didn't care about the match.

I've never worked that way. After my best finish at nationals I went to the Ernie Hill desert classic kind of feeling like I should shoot good but not really focusing on shooting good - and blew up. It was a disaster.

At my two last IPSC matches several years ago I really put the A effort in - I knew I wouldn't be doing this much longer. I placed third at Area 2 with some significant gun problems, and I won the CA State Stockgun championship even though I had skipped a target completely (something that in hind sight probably drove me to a knew level in shooting)

I need that intensity, pressure, and focus to perform. If I don't really care, then I really have no business being there because generally I don't perform.

Of course I also believe that a lot of the reasons why I shot was for the competition. As much as I love to shoot, I believe I enjoyed being a competitor more. The pressure, and (sometimes) performing under that pressure is what really made my matches. Its what kept bringing me back.

Curious . . .

JB

I think that the intensity that is required is really a matter of personal need. Back in college I had a pal who was a total stress junkie. She would sit in the classroom the 10 minutes before the exam just frothing, outloud but mostly to herself, about how she wasn't prepared and otherwise just totally stressing out. She was constantly in the top 3 scores on the exam.

I, on the other hand, would sit in my corner doing meditative relaxation exercises. Clearing out all the doubt. I was generally in the top 3 as well.

The third person of the top trio was an interesting dude who studied stoned and took the test stoned too. No, I am not going to advocate shooting stoned. :angry::wacko::blink:;)

So, I guess you just have to figure out what works for you. If you have to be the burner, be the burner. If you need to go stand in the corner and get your head together then do that.

Whatever works.

This is getting interesting.

My current mindset stresses visual patience over everything else.

I shot a match with an injured knee about 2 months ago, and knew driving up that I would have to win with points, and pick up time by missing zero steel.

Well, that was the first time I won the match at that club. That was the event that comitted me to truly calling every shot.

(btw, I have missed exactly one piece of steel since then, out of about 10 matches. This was a mini falling plate at about 15 yards, shot it with the same attention as the popper next to it, just not enough input)

About this time I realized that there need be no distinction between speed and precision in calling the shot. I also internalized the idea that calling the shot unlocks the speed, and does not hinder it in any way.

Until this time I had been flirting with calling the shots I perceieved as difficult and then switching into hose mode for anything I perceived as easy. This of course led to erratic results...

What does this have to do with winning and intensity?

I want to win as bad as anybody out there..however, I have learned to suppress that desire, or at least file it in a different noodle locker while I execute the fundamentals of shooting ipsc courses. It's actually very calming.

Imagine if you got to a match at the last minute, and didn't realize that Leatham, Jarret, Barnhart, Grauffel, Strader, Tomasie, Michel, Miculek,Burkett and Voigt were touring local clubs and shooting matches for fun. You joined the last squad and had no idea these guys were shooting the same match as you.

Even if you're the local hot dog, there's no way you're going win this match. If you try to win, your erratic performance may beat the local singlestackers, but will not touch the big boys.

Now, how would you shoot if you were on the same squad as these guys, no hope of winning, but desperately wanting to shoot well....

I guess my point is, Intensity directed towards winning the match can be trouble, intensity directed to a perfect performance can be very calming and beneficial. The ego gets in the way...

Sorry for rambling,

SA

Lanny Bassham says that your goal should not be to win the match. Rather, your goal should be to have a match winning performance.

"intensity directed to a perfect performance can be very calming and beneficial." - Exactly, Steve.

I tried the 'just relax and shoot' mode last night. It was horrid. :ph34r: I think my particular personality type *needs* that focused intensity - but towards a perfect performance, and not the win. Thanks for the insight.

On the other hand, some people play to the ability of the people they are playing with.

Out comes the truth - at that CA State Stockgun championship I won, I originally went over because first was $1,000 and I didn't think anyone would be there. Low and behold Ted Bonnet (Then World Champion) Matt Burkett, and Frank Garcia were there. Apparently they thought it would be easier money as well. Like I said, I completely skipped a target - so I took a 45 point hit in the match almost out of the gates, but all of the sudden I decided I wanted to win. I focused on what they guys were doing, watched intently, and made certain I executed better. My shooting elevated to a level I haven't yet reached again.

Maybe my focus isn't ON winning all the time, but I do believe a person has to choose to win. Oh . . . how do I say this - everyone wants to win. Clearly everyone who enters a match would like to win that match. Sometimes the pressure of the desire overcomes us. For me, it is a choice. I can CHOOSE to win, and by virtue of that I can say I've made a decision this is what I want to do, and I work towards that decision. If I just want to win, then mostly I shoot hoping that others will screw up.

Great topic!

JB

This is a great thread precisely because it relates sooooo subjectively to who we are.

For me, I've always been seriously motivated to win, but never while actually shooting. When I did my best, my focus was always on performance. The trick, for me, was to not allow that desire to win to interfere with my focus on performance, when my focus needed to be on performance. I had to learn to not care too much, when at the match, preparing to shoot, or while shooting. That's for me though. ;)

I really feel it's beneficial, in order to figure this out for yourself, if you clearly understand the difference between desires and goals.

be

Hmmm.

I desire to be the state champ.

My goal is to compete at my optimum level at the state championship.

this has been (and continues to be) an excellent discussion. It's helped me figure a couple of things out that I'll get to test out this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went thru this thread for the first time tonight and I must say it is truly a gem. One thing that I think has not

been touched on is the elimination of self doubt as it relates to getting yourself into the proper mind "set" . I haven't competed in the highest levels of this sport , but I have played in some upper level amatuer golf tournaments. For me , peak performance is all about finding the " zone" and It sounds a lot like Brian's "set". It's the place where there is no fear and no doubt . I usually use a trigger , like a good shot that suddenly brings your confidence to the point where there is only knowing and trusting with clear intent focus and determination. Brian really touched on something with the idea about clear intent , because that is what keeps you in the zone once you have arrived , it keeps out the distractions and puts you in the present tense, focused on the task at hand. Intensity should only be used as a tool to get your mind in the right place. Michael Jordan used to say he could put on the zone like a glove. I wish it were as easy for me , but some things can help , like a good pre-shot routine before a golf shot. It's simple , and your are confident you can do your routine to get ready. Maybe that's what I should have going on waiting for the buzzer. I often find myself giving up control to the person commanding me to L&MR in setting up the pace of my routine. The great shooters I have seen definetely look like they are the ones in control steeping up to the line. Brian , thanks for the great insight into how a top performer makes it happen.

Bill

If the RO asks you, "Shooter Ready?" and you're not, don't be afraid to shake your head and say, "Not yet." A good RO can sense when you're ready. One way you can clue them is, after holstering, stand there with your hand on the gun until you've got your head right. As long as you're gripping the gun in the holster, the RO knows you're not ready. When you feel "the zone," move your hands into the starting position. At this point I usually nod my head to let the RO know I'm ready.