Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" N frame carry holsters

chuck perry

Another newb question about my 5" 625. I am in search of a leather strong side belt holter for this piece. I'd prefer one with a thumb break. I've been searching around the web, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of leather out there for these. Right now I'm about settled on a FIST brand holster, but would like to hear from those with experience before I place an order. Maybe there's something better out there?

I personally use a Sidearmor kydex holster for my 625, but I have used Bianchi leather holsters with other revolvers that I have. Galco has the Dual Position Phoenix and Silhouette High Ride Holster that can be used for your 625. One of these might fit what you are looking for.

Carry, as in concealed carry? Why you intend to carry it is extremely important. For concealed carry my El Paso Street Combat carries all my 625s and my Redhawk quite well. For match use I use a Blade Tech but then I no longer own any revolvers with a barrel length over 4". I had a Blade Tech holster for my 5+" 627 and it was terrible, even with much of the front cut away for a faster draw. If you want a dedicated match holster I have no idea what's out there.

Dave Sinko

Thanks. A couple manf's have products similar to the Galco Silhouette, but I'm not crazy about them. It seems like the front sight would be really prone to snag coming out of these, either on your pants or the bottom of the holster. The Phoenix is nice, but seems more like a field holster. I should have mentioned that I'm looking for something for occasional duty/concealed carry, so black leather is much preferred.

Edited by chuck perry

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I never heard of El Paso before. I love their Stongside Select, but it's not offered for N frames. I made another post prior to reading your's where I clarified the holster's intended purpose. I have no need for a match holster. I bought my 625 used and the deal included a CR Speed WSMII holster. Wish it were leather!

Edited by chuck perry

http://simplyrugged.com/

Check this guy out.

He is a friend of mine and I love his stuff.

It is what his name says simple and rugged.

I have been using one of his pancake holsters for about 5 years now for a 4" n frame.

Under a t shirt it goes away. I was in a store a few months back and 3 cops were in there and none of them knew I was carrying until I lifted my shirt.

And the gun stays in place, I forgot about it one day shopping with the wife and got to playing on a inversion machine. As I rotated over I felt my gun move but the holster moved with it but the gun stayed in place.

I also had to draw my gun one night when a pit bull came out of the dark bushes, thankfully the owner was able to call him off before I had to shoot him but the gun was out and on the dog without a thought.

Curious why you want to limit your selection to leather?

Newer materials are more weather, body oil resistent, lighter, thinner, mold tighter to your firearm, cheaper to make.

I admit leather may be easier on the finish of a blue steel or safe queen revolver. But thats not very important on my carry guns.

A firm, well made kydex holster won't need a strap to be secured on a good strong side belt position.

Check out epsaddlery.com. The most beautiful holster I have ever seen is the Allegiance, which is just like my Street Combat but with a hand carved American flag and what looks like a tension screw. My plain Street Combat cost me $50 some years ago and carries my 4" Redhawk and 625 interchangeably. And yes, I DO carry large frame 4" revolvers concealed year 'round. This holster is one of the very few that will allow you to do that.

Dave Sinko