Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 and 38

JThompson

I was at the range yesterday for some practice... I had a couple of mags loaded and set one down on the table and went to the safe area to check for a possible malf. I come back and start looking for my mag and I can't find it. I ask my buddy if he has seen it and he says no. I look high and low and he finally walks over and hands me an empty mag asking if this one is mine. It was. I ask him what he did with the bullets? H says nothing... well we get to thinking about it and he put my 9mm spaced STI mag in his Bedell 38 SC and ran through the entire mage without issue. He didn't even notice. After a few seconds we started laughing and I said well, if you ever run out at a match you can always run my 9mm through that puppy. :surprise:

Edited by JThompson

right. and it does work sometimes. but there are at least 2 issues that can be a real problem. since the 9mm case is wider at the head than the 38, it can sometimes get stuck in the Super chamber. and i mean STUCK, as in requiring a squib rod to tamp it out. another problem is if the 9mm case slides too far forward into the chamber - the extractor might not hold it near the breech face (the same problem can occur when shooting 9mm in a 9X23 chamber). when fired, the primer might be pierced and this has inherent safety hazards. i've dealt with both problem and concluded that its not worth the risk and headaches. i'm sure that other folks will chime in with other issues that caution one against this practice.