Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan .40 cal mags

abs

I know people that load 1.250. Personally, I load only to around 1.185-1.195 most of the time. The load long and you need more powder to make major. Some guns are set up for reliable feeding with only longer loaded rounds while many others can use a factory lenght load reliably. It depend on how your gun is set up.

According to Beven, be careful of how long you load because the round sits at an upward angle, which means that it actually takes up more space in the mag and can hang up on the front wall of the mag. He recommends loading a litte short than 1.2 for this reason.

I am not sure what you mean by ejector. Most competition guns have an extended ejector to get the round moving out sooner. I do not know how an ejector would effect the loaded round entering the chamber.

Any one out there know what is the max OAL you can load a .40 to in an STI mag? I am assuming that the frames are the same for a .40 or a .45 with just the ejector being different.

Thanks!

abs

The stock magazine that comes with an STI Trojan in .40 is setup with a spacer in the back that prevents you from using long ammunition. If you use mags from Tripp, McCormick or Wilson (only ones I know of for a fact) you can easily go out as long as 1.250 without a problem and depending on the bullet profile, probably out as long as 1.270. Most of these mags are mag for both 10mm and .40 and factory 10mm is usually 1.250.

Yes, the frames are the same and a .40 usually has a slightly longer ejector, but not radically longer.

I just throated my Para and my caspian framed 40's as the Ed brown barrels have very short throats.. Any way I just measured this very thing. In the single stack .40 Metalform 10 round mags with the spacers max working length is 1.160. 1.170 will work but they seem to drag a little.