Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Safety & Closure

chuckbradley

I have my own range and have offered to let the club have small matches there but then there is the insurance issue.

The General Range and rifle range as well as the bullseye range all face the direction of the buildings the bullets were found. Although there is no .223 fired at bullseye unless we use it for a rifle stage at a 3 gun match. The Ipsc pits do not face that direction.

Problem is I am not the president of the club nor on the board. I am trying to help figure a way to get the pits for IPSC back open.

The NRA has been invloved. In fact all the ranges were certified by the NRA when they were built. They did offer some new recommendations recently that the club did not follow. The IPSC pits were improved although not completely to the recommendations.

They wanted something to limit blue sky. I think it was eyebrows to keep ricochets in. The main club is dealing with the NRA. I am trying to help get IPSC back open. We have been shooting IPSC there since 1989. If they want to spend the money for the baffles thats fine but that means we stay closed until its done. Its a shame this is a 1400 acre facility.

post-397-1203730787.jpg

I hate to say this, but Chuck it sounds like you have already made all the right points and correct arguments. This leaves the reason for the shutdown as motivated by the "we have met the enemy and it is us" syndrome. It just doesn't sound like there is any reasoning with the current board as constituted. Others have said change the board, but I have only seen a change of this magnitude occur once at a range in southern Indiana that we all know. I think it will be difficult here. This is specially shocking in that this club has over 2 square miles of land - any reasonable person could feel pretty safe with that kind of buffer at least for handguns.

It may be best to allow a cooling off period before taking it up again - it's cold right now anyway and maybe some reasonable arguments would be given more credence after a short period of time.

One other thought would be for the IPSC section to purchase it's own insurance policy for it's activities - that might let the board sleep better - but you never know.

I'm wondering what kind of money you would need to make the pistol bays right? Here's the idea..... If everyone in the surrounding clubs could get together and have a "Blueaid match" to raise the money that you need. It could be just a regular pistol match at the local club and all the proceeds minus targets and pasters would go to you guys for the improvements that you need. I don't think most would object. It can happen to any club. We all need to stick together and help each other out in a time of need. Feel free to sound off if this will help.

Chuck, I'll talk to those involved on my end to make this happen if you want.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I'm wondering what kind of money you would need to make the pistol bays right? Here's the idea..... If everyone in the surrounding clubs could get together and have a "Blueaid match" to raise the money that you need. It could be just a regular pistol match at the local club and all the proceeds minus targets and pasters would go to you guys for the improvements that you need. I don't think most would object. It can happen to any club. We all need to stick together and help each other out in a time of need. Feel free to sound off if this will help.

Chuck, I'll talk to those involved on my end to make this happen if you want.

Chris C.

Thanks Chris. Might talk with Mike about this. He is president of the Pistol Division.