Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Up Range Movement

pwalker

Today at a local club match, there were two stages that required substantial movement in the up-range direction. In one, the starting position was in a corridor with an array of targets directly in front of the shooter. But other targets could only be engaged by moving about 5 meters up-range to some other windows. The other stage also required about 4 or 5 meters of up-range movement from the starting position.

When I played back the video-tape this evening, I discovered three different techniques were used for the up-range movement.

1. I turned, holding the pistol behind me, (pistol and strong hand pointed down-range) and ran forwards, then swung myself around so that my body and pistol were pointing down-range together.

2. My son did a kind of backwards shuffle, keeping his whole body and pistol pointing down-range.

3. Another shooter twisted side-on and took large crab-like steps.

All three techniques seemed to work OK and, in no case, did anyone come close to violating the 180 rule.

So, my question is: What is the best movement technique when significant (more than a step or two) up-range movement is required in a stage.

Regards

Peter

Peter

Of all the techniques you watched , which one was the fastest ? Sometimes I like to go out to my range after a match and try different scenarios with a timer and see which technique works best. I would tend to think, if you only had to go a few meters, that keeping both hands on the gun , with kind of a sideways high ready position might be the best way to go , but I've never tried it . H'mm something new to try.

Bill

If I had a long way to go uprange without engaging any targets, I'd probably holster (I might warn the RO first), then just go. But for me, it's a safety issue . . . the farther I travel, the more likely I am to fall! :huh:

Well, I can see why some people might be nervous about the re-holstering PROCESS, but there is absolutely no way a loaded gun in anyone's hand is safer than when it's holstered in a belt scabbard or similar carry holster.

I respectfully disagree....

How many times have you seen a gun fall out of a holster. I have many, many times. Luckly most of the time it was unloaded. How many times have you seen a gun fall out of ones hand? Me, once and it was under a very severe circumstance.

How many times have you seen someone fall and they instinctively throw the safety on and keep it pointed in a safe direction? Seen it many times. Why?

Because they have control of the firearm.

Rhino...after reading your post again you talked about carry holsters....yes that would be pretty safe, still no convinced it would be safer. But 100% sure it's not safer with a race rig, and thats what I was basing my opion on.

I have to agree with Paul. Besides, the reholster procedure takes quite some time (even when practiced a lot) compared to just turning around and running. Just my humble, humble opinion though :)

Rhino...after reading your post again you talked about carry holsters....yes that would be pretty safe, still no convinced it would be safer.  But 100% sure it's not safer with a race rig, and thats what I was basing my opion on.

Sounds like we had a semantics issue . . .

When I say "holster," I mean a real holster. The various race rigs do not enter into my world, except that I note that some other shooters use them and like them! So when I intend to refer to one of those contraptions, I'll probably say, "race rig" or something similar.

Why not run backwards with the gun still holstered, then turn and draw at the same time? This would seem to be the safest course, provide you watch the 180 on the draw - but then we do a pivot draw all the time on the El Prez.

We seem to do lots of stages with this scenario.

The technique really depends on the closeness and number of targets.

For me both turn and run and the shuffle have their place.

I cannot see how it can possibly be better to reholster especially given how easy it would be to sweep yourself or break the 180.

P.D.

For the record, I did say what "I would do," rather than stating it in terms of general advice to another.

I have done it and for good reasons. This past winter, we foolishly shot an entire match on a range where every single shooting bay was completely covered in thick, wavy ice (snow had melted to slush the day before, then refroze overnight). We had one stage where the shooter had to move from one box to another on the opposite side of the bay. Since I knew I had a good chance of slipping, I holstered before I started moving, then I drew again when I was safely at the destination.

If I had to shag uprange any significant distance (without engaging targets along the way), I'd probably do something quite similar.

As always, your mileage may vary.

• 1 month later...

It would depend on how far from position to position and how far away the first target to engage is from the final position.

Turning and running with the gun pointed around the outside of the weak hand arm makes the most sense to me for a long distance and a longish shot from the final position. But if the distance was less than ten yards, and the first target from the final position was close and to the right, I would probably do a crabwalk with the pistol pointed in the general direction of that target.