Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a Single Stack 1911

Cy Soto

If someone was looking to have a 1911-type pistol built (single stack), is there a significant difference (in terms of quality) between the frames and slides offered by different companies (ie STI, SVI, Caspian, Essex, etc)? What would make one company a better choice than the others?

Not that I am planning on building gun but, if I were to, I tend to like the “Race Ready” design on the frame offered by Caspian and I also like the “Full Length” dust cover offered by STI. It would be nice if these two features were offered together on the same frame. Oh and I would probably prefer the stainless frame and slides, but it seems that the renowned gunsmiths prefer to work with carbon steel instead. Why is this?

OK, Cy, I promise to not derail this thread on you. :D

I don't think a full length dust cover would be legal on a 1911 in single stack. At the very least, it would be a weight problem for that division's gun weight restrictions.

Talk to Steve Moore. He's right there in Denver and is the local USPSA gunsmith of choice. He usually is at the Aurora matches.

I personally like the look of the Caspian 1911 frames with the built in magwell. It just looks awesome.

Talk to Steve Moore. He's right there in Denver and is the local USPSA gunsmith of choice. He usually is at the Aurora matches.

I just met Steve a few weeks ago. Really nice guy (and a very good shooter too).

I don't think a full length dust cover would be legal on a 1911 in single stack. At the very least, it would be a weight problem for that division's gun weight restrictions.

STI has a model like this, they call it the Range Master. I think that they say that it is both IDPA and USPSA (well they say IPSC) legal but they don't specify in which division. Maybe they mean for Limited.

The Caspian frames are really good, but they tend to be heavy....add a magwell and a stainless one-piece guide rod and you're going to be right at the limit (with an empty mag). I don't think anything with a full length dust cover woud make weight....a Rangemaster is listed as being 41.2oz without a magazine so you'd need an awfully light mag! R,

I just met Steve a few weeks ago. Really nice guy (and a very good shooter too).

Yep, he can shoot very well. Steve isn't one of the big name gunsmiths in USPSA, but he's built a lot of the guns you see out there. Quite a few shooters out there killin paper with his work. He builds Ron Avery's guns. That's gotta count for something.

If you decide to dabble in the Tangfolio platform, talk to Wallgren. He's out there too.

AFAIK, full length dust covers are not legal in SS, and the built in magwell on the Caspian's might be pushing it legally also.

I would love to have a full length dust covered, built in magwelled, squared trigger guard SS setup... but I'm weird like that.