Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eric Buljung

Flexmoney

[ThreadDrift]
Eric Buljung introduced me to berm shooting at Phillips Range, he was shooting his Olympic pistol into the berm. No target, just shooting into the berm. If it is good enough for him it is probably good enough for me.

Wow! That says a lot. I had the good fortune to train with him for a few days at Benning, quite a few years ago. Talk about hard core. I remember he did the craziest thing I'd ever seen. He was shooting slow fire, and he was holding, forever - the shot just wouldn't break. Then without shooting, he'd "rest" - but he wouldn't bring the gun down, he'd just rest his head over on his shoulder!

:o

[/TD]

Brian, why'd he do that?

I love it when Brian says something is "crazy" (or words to that effect). It usually means there is some good stuff to be learned, if only from Brian's perspective on how he views it. Maybe there is more story ??

[ThreadDrift]
Eric Buljung introduced me to berm shooting at Phillips Range, he was shooting his Olympic pistol into the berm. No target, just shooting into the berm. If it is good enough for him it is probably good enough for me.

Wow! That says a lot. I had the good fortune to train with him for a few days at Benning, quite a few years ago. Talk about hard core. I remember he did the craziest thing I'd ever seen. He was shooting slow fire, and he was holding, forever - the shot just wouldn't break. Then without shooting, he'd "rest" - but he wouldn't bring the gun down, he'd just rest his head over on his shoulder!

:o

[/TD]

Brian, why'd he do that?

I love it when Brian says something is "crazy" (or words to that effect). It usually means there is some good stuff to be learned, if only from Brian's perspective on how he views it. Maybe there is more story ??

My read is that those guys who shoot the international disciplines have the ability the body from the mind, and this is a literal case.

My $0.02

PS - I know the question wasn't for me

PSS - BE - cool story!

While breaking shots at a non-target you have no distraction of hold area. Therefore sights (alignment) and trigger are the only concern. To excell at precision shooting, one must totally understand and accept area aiming but have no compromise on sight alignment and trigger control. One must understand the difference between causing or letting a gun fire and making a gun fire at a finite moment.

MJ :cheers:

I shoot a bit of Olympic air pistol, there's "stability" which is the relationship of the hand/rear sight/front sight, which with practice doesn't move. Then there's "wobble" which is the unavoidable movement of the entire structure in relation to the target. A very common early mistake is to compromise stability to try and fix wobble; moving the platform at the last second to try and coax the shot into the 10.

H.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably should have said something more like "impressive." But it was so impressive - that he'd trained, physically, to hold his arm in position for so long that he'd fatigue mentally or visually before his arm got tired, and that recuperating did not require lowering his arm - impressive didn't seem like enough. Hardcore.

be

I shoot a bit of Olympic air pistol, there's "stability" which is the relationship of the hand/rear sight/front sight, which with practice doesn't move. Then there's "wobble" which is the unavoidable movement of the entire structure in relation to the target. A very common early mistake is to compromise stability to try and fix wobble; moving the platform at the last second to try and coax the shot into the 10.

H.

Nicely put!

be

I probably should have said something more like "impressive." ... impressive didn't seem like enough. Hardcore.

be

Nah...I knew what you meant. That is why it peaked my interest. :)

It just occured to me (while responding to this). I tend to read somebody's words and my brain hears it in that person's "voice". (at least, my minds representation of their "voice") Until now, I've never wondered if everybody else did that or not...

Anyway...pretty cool that he would rest while in position. Kinda like a horse sleeping on it's feet.