Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inconsistent…

Flamingo

I shot in my third match this weekend. I had a blast, but I am a little frustrated. The first two stages I shot; I did really poorly. I shot the third ok and I did much better on the fourth stage than I thought. The fifth stage was OK, but I bombed the 6th stage. I understand what happened on that one… I tried to shoot faster than I can go.

I am currently shooting a bone stock CZ. I think getting some fiber optic sights will help, I also need to slow down and go for better shot placement.

I am having a blast but some times I think it would be better to score in the lower 1/3 and be consistent than to be all over the place with a few good scoring stages and some real stinkers. It is really frustrating.

I shot in my third match this weekend. I had a blast, but I am a little frustrated. The first two stages I shot; I did really poorly. I shot the third ok and I did much better on the fourth stage than I thought. The fifth stage was OK, but I bombed the 6th stage. I understand what happened on that one… I tried to shoot faster than I can go.

I am currently shooting a bone stock CZ. I think getting some fiber optic sights will help, I also need to slow down and go for better shot placement.

I am having a blast but some times I think it would be better to score in the lower 1/3 and be consistent than to be all over the place with a few good scoring stages and some real stinkers. It is really frustrating.

Flamingo,

First, welcome to the sport. It is, as you now know, a ton of fun.

Your observation is rather quite incredible. It normally takes years and years to understand consistency is in fact the key to this game.

My take on your thread is simple in nature. First, you clearly understand how the game works. You can't shoot faster than you can go. You can, with practice, change how fast you can go. But you can't shoot faster than you can go.

That is your key to success. What I'd recommend is ignore the scoreboard for now. At least wait until you've taken the holster off. If you recognize the key to this game - consistency and making the fewest mistakes, you'll just need to trust that the scoreboard will take care of itself.

Improving after that? Look at these active links. They are spot on - the members on this forum are unbelievably insightful.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...pic=104&hl=

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry699506

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry698080

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry694309

J

Edited by j1b

I feel that for me the lack of consistency in matches is tied directly to my lack of consistency in training. At times I keep up a very good training regiment and it tends to have a very quick positive impact on my performance. At other times I slack off either due to various time pressures of professional or personal life or just out of sheer laziness. This also has a very quick impact on my performance. I tend to try to shoot the same way as when I am training hard but it just results in lots of dropped points and penalties.

My question is this - how normal is this? Not the general idea - I understand that generally if you train you perform well and if you do not train you do not. I am surprised by how rapid the swings are. I am a C shooter. A week or two of consistent dryfire and occasionall live fire practice and I feel that I am shooting at mid B (based on match placement). But only a week of slacking off and I am at mid to low C. Based on some conversations with some of the guys I shoot with I have the impression that they are not practicing consistently either - yet I do not see these swings in their performance.

Slav

I don't mean to claim, that I am an expert, when it comes to shooting. But I do think it is like any other sports. I have skied since my 2nd birthday. When I the winter comes and I go skiing with what would be B class skiers, they are always exceedingly impressed, by how little performance I loose when not sking for half a year.

But the thing is, the correct moves are so stamped in my muscle memory, that I don't need training to put out decent results.

I am about half a second slower at the beginning of a season on a typical course, whereas the difference with B class skiers is measured in 10 seconds. What they don't know: If I ski half a second slower than normally, I feel terrible, and against the guys I measure myself against, half a second is a world of difference. The only thing they see, is that in their timeframe (10 seconds) I diddn't slow down, although I didn't train for half a year. But for me, that half a second really hurts.

I really hazard the guess, that it is the same with shooting.

Flamingo....

Stick with Jack and Jake on this..... The post's and the shot calling. It will help you more than words can say now. The good folks on this forum will help steer your ship in the right direction. Trust in that!!!!

Welcome B)

sslav....

Based on some conversations with some of the guys I shoot with I have the impression that they are not practicing consistently either - yet I do not see these swings in their performance.

I believe that some of us have to do a little more and practice a little harder or often than other's do to be at the same level in lots of given games.

Or time is on there side as to how long they have been in the game. Maybe back in their early days they put in the long hours of training and now have

most of the basic package burned in to some degree.

Seeing training results from practice is one of my personnel rewards that I just plan love :cheers:

So go ahead and gas it up, and let err ripppp :D

Edited by Turbo23

Calling the shot is knowing where the bullet will impact the instant it leaves the barrel.

This is usually accomplished by visual awareness of where the sights are in relation to the target at the instant the round leaves the barrel.

Raudi,

You're definitely right. I've literally lost matches by .1 match points before.

To a GM, a full or half second can be a lifetime whereas that much time is usually negligible for a C or B class shooter.

The division you are shooting in also has an impact on this. For example, a half second in Open is usually worth more than a half second in Production.