Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can it be done?

austinkroe

I have a 9mm 2011 bushing gun that runs like a champ. I had it chromed last year and it is still really tight. I was pondering trying out open for a bit but I know I don't want to buy another gun just yet. I have shot a couple of open guns and they made me smile but I would like to know what I would be getting into before dropping $3k. So, I was thinking a few easy modifications to my current gun could be fun.

Can a new barrel w/comp be put into my gun without making any other modifications? For the record is has a reverse plug so that mod is not required here and I don't want to start drilling holes in the slide just yet.

I still want to be able to shoot the iron sighed bushing gun so I don't want to risk ruining the barrel/slide fit that I have now. I would just like to be able to slide in a new barrel and trade out the rear sight for a JPoint then go off to the races. Is that reasonable? Would shooting an open barrel eventually loosen the slide up to where the bushing barrel is not as good anymore? Is the two guns in one idea bad? To complicate things I would want to run it in 9major (I already have good mags setup for 9).

I was thinking of calling Jim Anglin because he is the closest 9major smith to me geographically but I thought I should ask here first.

Thoughts? Ideas? All perspectives welcome.

but swapping sights back and forth and having to waste ammo rezeroing every time will get old. Also your spring tuning will be different. If it was me I would go complete top end. Get a new slide and barrel fit to your frame with two different guide rods and springs. Put your slide ride sight on one leave your existing one alone.

Shadetree rule nummer two grasshoppa

Fix not which isnt broke.

What are you going to do about Sights? shoot Iron? If you can afford it buy a nice used gun, if you don't like it ...it will still be worth about what you paid. A Good gun is like money in the bank

the gun Benny Built for me is worth more that what I paid to have him build it. Just don't tell Benny ;)

Jamie

I was thinking of using a JPoint because the transition from irons would be easy. Heck I could even shoot open irons just for fun too. Besides, if I didn't like the open game I could always put the JPoint on a .22 or something and then I would only be out a barrel and a fitting. I have another gun and I don't foresee changing sights and stuff all that often if more than once. I just want to play in open for a year or so without making the investment in a whole new gun and if I like it enough I will invest in a whole new gun built to the specs I want based on some kind of trial and error.

I guess I will wait a bit for more input before calling a smith.

Thanks guys.

Its not as easy as just getting a new barrel and lobbing it into the slide. The barrel needs to be fitted to ensure the slide does not crack. You will also need to match-up the springs. Every time you swap the barrel you will need to re-zero. IMHO you should go full out for a open gun or keep it standard. The idea about a good second hand gun sounds best to me.

Another issue is a comped gun has the front of the slide cut back 1° to give it room to lock and unlock properly. If you go the barrel/comp route, get a threaded barrel and make sure to leave about .015 between the comp and slide until you decide. Then you can face off the comp and fully index it once you have your slide angled.