Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 load data for steel

38supr

I just got my dream gun a custom Dawson open gun in 38super tj. I'm going to be shooting the psa challenge

and i'm looking for a steel load recipe to get me started. in IpSC i'm using H121HAP(hp) gr bullets over IMR sr4756. Can I use same bullets w/ faster powder or go up weight?

38supr: Which comp do you have? Do you have any hybrid ports? These are the things that are going to determine just how low of a fps you can go. Almost everyone shoots a fast burning powder in there steel load so you are on the right track there. I would stay with the 121's & get some faster powder like N320 to test. I have heard of some really light loads out there. I like the comp on my guns to work. Doug Koenig gave me the load I am using right now and it works great and it is almost 130pf. But, like I have said many times, do your own testing and find a load that you & your gun like. The bottom line is now your pistol feels in your hands. Thats what is important.  ;)

I'm still waiting on my new toy from Dawson (.38 super minigun with 3 port comp). I hope to have it in time to shoot the PSA match with it.

I like vihtavuori powders.  I use N310 for steel loads in 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 38 short Colt.

I talked to Doug Koenig at Topton last year and he told me that he uses N310 for 38 super steel loads.  There is not much data available so I contacted Vihtavuori and they suggested 4.0 to 4.5 grs. of N310 with a 115 gr. bullet

Perf40

Here are some of the loads I've tried with that new HAP-121, one helluva accurate bullet BTW.

5.3-5.5 gr. W231

5.4 gr. titegroup

4.7-4.9 gr. AA#2

Accuracy at 25 yds in my gun ran from .542" - .939" with those loads and these meet a 120+ PF in a 6" bbl 9X23.

YMMV

See ya at PSA.......