Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Prez Dry Fire Video

G-ManBart

Finally got around to setting up a You Tube account and posted my first video. It's a standard El Prez with a par time of 4 sec. I can honestly say it would have been almost all A's...maybe dropped a couple. The reload wasn't that great and my index afterwards was a little off, but other than that it was pretty much okay. I see a couple of things, but would appreciate any comments...other than those about the funny faces I was making, the clutter in the background, or my developing bald spot :D

I see a couple of things, but would appreciate any comments...other than those about the funny faces I was making, the clutter in the background, or my developing bald spot :D

I got nothing.......

Just kidding!! :lol:

The one thing I see is your support hand position needs to be rotated foreword a bit more. Take a look at the direction your left thumb is pointing. It should be at the target(s), but it appears to be pointed to the sky.

The other thing is the draw from the holster. It appears as though you have your hand on the pistol longer than what was needed to start the draw as you rotated your body to the targets.

Pretty minor, but do some very slow surrender draws in the mirror and watch the movements of your hands and elbows. Straight lines are fastest, you will probably move your right elbow in some and left elbow out a little. Then video it again and see what actually happens.

That is awfully smooth for a EP at 4 seconds, looks pretty good to me.

I got nothing.......

Just kidding!! :lol:

The one thing I see is your support hand position needs to be rotated foreword a bit more. Take a look at the direction your left thumb is pointing. It should be at the target(s), but it appears to be pointed to the sky.

The other thing is the draw from the holster. It appears as though you have your hand on the pistol longer than what was needed to start the draw as you rotated your body to the targets.

Steve, you really got my hopes up with that first part :P

On my left thumb, I have one of the gas pedals on my gun (probably can't tell from the video) and that's just where everything winds up. I haven't tried comparing with and without the pedal on this gun, but I do like it and it seems like it gives a little more control.

I'll take a look at it again and compare with some other videos to see if I just didn't get the grip quite right on that one, or if I'm wasting time with my hand on the gun...thanks! R,

Bart

Pretty minor, but do some very slow surrender draws in the mirror and watch the movements of your hands and elbows. Straight lines are fastest, you will probably move your right elbow in some and left elbow out a little. Then video it again and see what actually happens.

That is awfully smooth for a EP at 4 seconds, looks pretty good to me.

Thanks Howard...that's one of the things I've noticed lately and I'm 99% certain I know why. I spent the last couple of months focusing on single stack and I had to move my right hand position a little bit to get it on the gun consistently from surrender....now I've got to train it to go back to "normal". I'll probably get yelled at by the SNOB guys for calling it "normal"...lol. R,

A four second El Pres down a couple of points would be a 14.5 hit factor. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that's pretty good in my book. :cheers:

It looks to me like you have developed a very solid platform that works well for you. I don't suppose this is helpful, but I would think all you need to do is to keep on practicing, with the goal being to reduce the gap between dry fire and live fire, and then reduce the gap between live fire and game day.

A four second El Pres down a couple of points would be a 14.5 hit factor. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that's pretty good in my book. :cheers:

It looks to me like you have developed a very solid platform that works well for you. I don't suppose this is helpful, but I would think all you need to do is to keep on practicing, with the goal being to reduce the gap between dry fire and live fire, and then reduce the gap between live fire and game day.

I agree with Ron.

Take it live and see if it holds.

Thanks Flex...that's definitely worth being reminded about. The way I had this set up was at reduced distance with reduced targets...1/3rd scale targets that I was at about 14ft from rather than 10ft. My plan is that dry firing A's like this at a simulated longer distance will make it even easier in live fire.

I've worked with the SA book/drills for a while now and I'm seeing good results as far as accuracy and speed. We had a practice today where we set up a stage (150pts) and I was averaging right around 95% of the points which frequently seems to be the breakpoint for winning stages. So, I don't think I'm trying to go too fast, but it never hurts to have a reality check and the next chance I get I'm going to run some El Prez's and compare live fire with dry fire. R,

• 1 month later...

g-man bart

i just watched your dry fire the first thing i saw was when doing a turn and draw i believe it is best to snap your head to the first target and let your body follow

it around. another thing i had alot of trouble with myself was the footwork. pivoting on your strong side foot while turning. one thing that helped me was getting in my shooting position then reversing to the starting position as if to go backwards before i started the drill. as with every bit of info you get take it with a grain of salt everyone has their own way of doing things

The main thing I see is your body and head turn at the same time, head (eyes) should snap to the first target. Can't see your footwork so can't comment there. The reload rocked! Overall looks smooth and smooth is fast!!

The main thing I see is your body and head turn at the same time, head (eyes) should snap to the first target. Can't see your footwork so can't comment there. The reload rocked! Overall looks smooth and smooth is fast!!

You guys are definitely right about the head snap. I saw that and I'm not sure why I wasn't really getting my head around quicker as that's something I pay attention to. I'm wondering if it came from being inside and my visual clues were different? Regardless, thanks for the comments. R,