Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Pro 2000 New Upgrade

So RCBS is going to be showing off a new auto indexing Pro 2000 at SHOT. Midway is already listing the upgrade kit for around $90. hopefully they'll come out with a case feeder next!!!!!!!!! slap a bullet feeder on one of them and you'd be off to the races big time!

Edited by slavex

OOOOOOHHHH, I gotta try that! I'm and oddball reloader with a green machine. I bought my 2000 years ago, long before shooting USPSA, and have stuck with it putting money in ammo instead of upgrading to a 650. The case feeder and bullet feeder options still might push me to an upgrade later on, but this may very well speed me up until I feel the need for the 650.

I wonder if it will be a cam in the center of the press like the old piggybacks, or if it will index the plate off of the star that attached to the shell plate? No pic's on the midway site. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I am super excited by this, as I feel the Pro2000 is one of the best, if not the best, progressive machines on the market. The manual index and lack of casefeeder is the only reason I went Blue. I would've liked to see them make it a 6 station press, but then all of us that PiggyBack setups wouldn't have been able to just swap over with existing bits and pieces. But using a seat and crimp die doesn't bother me. I can hardly wait to see it in action, and if they'll come out with a casefeeder for it. I already know my bullet feeder will work on it, so...........

That would be nice to see an auto-indexing 2000. I have been using an Auto 4x4 since 89 and while my shell holders will not move across to the 2000 for me it would still be worth the update to the auto-indexing 2000. So I will be heading to the RCBS booth at the shot show to check it out.

Alan

That would be nice to see an auto-indexing 2000. I have been using an Auto 4x4 since 89 and while my shell holders will not move across to the 2000 for me it would still be worth the update to the auto-indexing 2000. So I will be heading to the RCBS booth at the shot show to check it out.

Alan

Trip report with pics is requested, oh great and wonderous area director.

Alan

Pics will be difficult as I do not have a photo credential, but I will try to get catalogs to scan.

Alan

Pics will be difficult as I do not have a photo credential, but I will try to get catalogs to scan.

Sweet, thanks.

I am super excited by this, as I feel the Pro2000 is one of the best, if not the best, progressive machines on the market. The manual index and lack of casefeeder is the only reason I went Blue. I would've liked to see them make it a 6 station press, but then all of us that PiggyBack setups wouldn't have been able to just swap over with existing bits and pieces. But using a seat and crimp die doesn't bother me. I can hardly wait to see it in action, and if they'll come out with a casefeeder for it. I already know my bullet feeder will work on it, so...........

Slavex, the Pro 2000 CAN be used as a 6 station press. I'm currently using it with both a powder check die and a factory crimp die. The secret is to buy a Lee powder through the belling die and the Lee Pro Disc powder dropper.

Station 1 is the sizer/deprimer

Station 2 is the beller + powder drop

Station 3 is a check die (where the powder drop normally would go)

Station 4 is the seater

Station 5 is a factory crimp die

BTW, the Lee Pro Disc is VERY accurate and repeatable at dropping powder. Don't let its cheap looks fool you.

well a person could move the RCBS powder drop to that position too, but then that changes how I index. I index the shell plate after the rearward movement of the handle (primer seating stroke), so I'd end up with powder going into a case with no primer. your timing would be a bit different wouldn't it?

well a person could move the RCBS powder drop to that position too, but then that changes how I index. I index the shell plate after the rearward movement of the handle (primer seating stroke), so I'd end up with powder going into a case with no primer. your timing would be a bit different wouldn't it?

Yes, but after thinking about how they might put a retrofitted auto-indexer on this, I think you will have to make that change anyway. The downstroke will probably index the plate.

The powder drops on the up stroke in stage two, so the primer has already been seated.

Stroke one - up : Resize

Index

Stroke one - down : seat primer

Stoke two - up : Bell, drop powder

Index

Stroke two - down : nothing

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the Pro 2000 auto-index announcment. It was the happiest day of my life when the auto-index part broke (due to me getting frustrated and jamming the handle down when it got stuck) on my auto 4x4 press. I removed all the auto-index pieces and manually indexed, and reliability soared.

Edited by prickett

I checked out the Pro 2000 auto index feature, it looks to be pretty rock solid and the kit is available to retrofit to older 2000's. It mounts with the left bolt and it actuates a ratchet system.

The kit is available for a list price of 99.95 in the RCBS Catalog.

Later

Alan

• 3 months later...

Do a lot more reading than posting here . . . here are the Pro2000 auto index pictures I took.

2008%2004%2018%20Pro2000%20Upgrade%20001.jpg

What's in the box . . .

2008%2004%2018%20Pro2000%20Upgrade%20005.jpg

Setup on my press.

My new top end part was not entirely tight when I got out of the box and I failed to notice until I loaded on it for a while. I would recommend a check of all the primer system bolts before you assemble the unit on your press.

The unit is intolerant of a gentle hand on the first portion of the upstroke. If you run it to slow and gentle the shell plate will index in reverse. :unsure: No big deal once you use it for a while and are used to the initial speed required, we're talking the first inch or so. It just a different rhythm from indexing by hand.

When it does advance the shellplate there is a bit of a jerk as it locks into the next detent, like most other auto progressives I've used. You will get a few flakes of powder on the shellplate at first. I started watching it closely and made sure I was inserting the next case as it indexed into the next detent and this stopped all the spillage I was having, minor though it was.

Overall I am pleased. My "burst" speed is faster then ever before. After loading tens of thousands of rounds on this press it was kind of cool to see how much faster this one little automated step made the entire process.

Edited by spencerhut

• 4 weeks later...
Do a lot more reading than posting here . . .

My new top end part was not entirely tight when I got out of the box and I failed to notice until I loaded on it for a while. I would recommend a check of all the primer system bolts before you assemble the unit on your press.

Ditto

When it does advance the shellplate there is a bit of a jerk as it locks into the next detent, like most other auto progressives I've used. You will get a few flakes of powder on the shellplate at first. I started watching it closely and made sure I was inserting the next case as it indexed into the next detent and this stopped all the spillage I was having, minor though it was.

I have the same problem with it throwing flakes, I'm using VV N-320 (tiny cut stick) and it was flying everywhere. I pulled the shell plate and cut 2 1/2 turns off the ball detent spring. 1/2 a turn at a time, took awhile, but it helps with the KaChunK.

Overall I am pleased. My "burst" speed is faster then ever before. After loading tens of thousands of rounds on this press it was kind of cool to see how much faster this one little automated step made the entire process.

good to know

Are you happy with the Auto primer system? I am having a heck of a time getting it to run right and not ingest a primer every so often <50 reloads. I took mine apart and noticed one of the plastic spring clips (6 total) was missing.....looks like a call to RCBS on Monday. Greeeaaat customer service IMO.

Ron

The Auto Primer System on my press works very well. I only have problems when I get 4895 or similar powders spilled into it.

I did a video of the press in operation. Here you go . . .

Nice Video, thanks. OK, guess I will upgrade in a couple of months. Even if (when) I buy a blue machine, I will hold on to this one and the autoindex looks like it's worth the investment.

great video thanks.

the priming system on mine has always been great. but if the little beetles (that's what RCBS calls the things that move the strips), get broken legs, it falls apart. But at the same time I think there are supposed to be a couple of them that are removed, if memory serves me correctly.