Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No. Va Ranges

Guest qstick

Hello everyone,

I live in Northern Virginia near Winchester (?). I am looking for a place to practice where I can do more than just shot at a single target indoors. I just started to get interested in IPSC/IDPA and am hoping to shoot my first match at the end of the month.

So far, besides dry fire practice at home, I have been driving about 1 1/2 hours to the NRA range every Saturday and Sunday, and a day or two during the week. Whenever possible, i try and fins someone with a few large fields or a place in the mountains that will let me set up a few of the stages I downloaded and pratice them, but this happens at best once every month or so.

Does anyone know of any outdoor ranges that would let me do this, or any that would have plates set up, or anything that isn't shooting at a single target downrange? I would really love to find a place to practice once or twice during the week.

If anyone has any information that might help, I would love to hear it.

Thanks again for al the great help on this board,

Zach

Looks like you're a good drive from Fredericksburg too, that's too bad because they have a lot of ipsic activity there. I would say you should go to http://www.vamdsection.org/ and see if anything is close. If not, try calling Phil Strader at Shooter's Paradise:

http://64.62.172.100/~brianeno/index.php?a...2601&hl=strader

Good luck!

Gstick,

You're in luck, there is a monthly IPSC match at Shenandoah. Take 81 south and get off at the second exit. Check the Va/Md. section page and they will give you directions and all the information about matches. There is also a match in york, PA., which should only be about an hour drive for you. The website will have all the information you need. Also, don't forget, the NRA range puts on IPSC/IDPA matches. Check the range schedule for dates. They are usually on a tuesday.

Erik

Guest qstick

Bill - Fredricksburg is a pretty good hike for a weeknight, a little over an hour and a half. I didn;t think to ask Phil, I should be at his shop next week, he ordered a few magazines, mag golders and a few other odds and ends.

Erik - The North Mountain match is actually the one I am hoping to shoot at the end of the month, my first match. When I called and spoke to the NRA range about their IPSC/IDPA matches, they told me I had to have either experience, or take their class before I could shoot there...Next class - tentatively scheduled for the middle of July.

Thanks for the great advice,

Zach

Zach,

If you get a chance, take the classes at the NRA. I used to help teach there and I personally know all the instructors. Even if you have some experience, you will pick up some good stuff. I highly recommend it.

Erik

Upcoming local matches:

Sunday, May 25 - NMPS Shenendoah - e mailto:nmpsmatchs@hotmail.com (BJ

Norris)

Sunday, June 1 - Fredericksburg - e mailto:BAD320@aol.com (Tino

DiMattina)

Sunday, June 8 - NVPS-Quantico - e mailto:dripsc@patriot.net (DSMF

Dave)

Sunday, June 15 - MPSA Thurmont - e mailto:matchadmin@mpsa.net (Bill

Allred)

Sunday, June 22 - NMPS Shenendoah - e mailto:nmpsmatchs@hotmail.com (BJ

Norris)

Saturday, June 14 - York The Ikes - e mailto:hctkst@nfdc.net (Howard

Thompson)

Sunday, July 6 - MPSA IPSC Practice at Dug hill - e

mailto:matchadmin@mpsa.net (Bill Allred)

Sunday, August 31 - MPSA IPSC Practice at Dug hill - e

mailto:matchadmin@mpsa.net (Bill Allred)

good luck dude...

Guest qstick

Thanks for the kind words....and for sharing a bit of the gameplan. I had a great time shooting the match, but the steel stage drove me crazy. I really needed to leave the vertical rows of steel for last and focus on getting clean hits on everything else, but I was a bit overwhelmed at all of the steel targets having never shot steel before.

I'm sure we'll cross paths again...probably this weekend...are you going to Fredericksburg?

Zach