Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pressure signs in handgun loads

Gallow

Some years ago I read that “pressure signs,” which are used in working up loads, are nearly worthless as a diagnostic in handgun loads. The gist of it was that loads would almost always far exceed safe levels in handgun cartridges long before the classic pressure signs appeared. Is this true?

you'll find a boatload of info regarding pressure signs here.

but to start you off, primer flattening will be one sign of high pressure. if you use a softer primers (i.e. federal, if you can get them <_< ) you'll see them flatten out if you have any concerns with pressure compared to the other brands of primers out there. its not the most accurate tool but a tool us mere mortals can afford.

a published known load from the reloading companies will have the accompanying pressure reading. if those rounds don't have flattened primers, loads you develop using less than what they use should be well within your safety zone.

Me? I'm WAY past recommended amounts but take the risk to play the game ;)

Edited by yoshidaex

Since you are in the .45ACP section, I assume that is the caliber we are talking about. If it is, forget reading pressure signs for the .45ACP. The max. for this cartridge is too low to give useful signs.

Sure you can sometimes tell that some primers are flatter than others, but that is of little use at less than 20,000CUP. Stick to the manuals for the .45ACP.

Since you are in the .45ACP section, I assume that is the caliber we are talking about. If it is, forget reading pressure signs for the .45ACP. The max. for this cartridge is too low to give useful signs.

Sure you can sometimes tell that some primers are flatter than others, but that is of little use at less than 20,000CUP. Stick to the manuals for the .45ACP.

Thanks. Yes, I'm referring to .45, and that's what I thought I understood. It does seem as though loads in at least some of the powder books are more conservative than they were thirteen years ago, when I was reloading. In any case, with PF down to 165, Second Chance dead, and my chrono operating, I won't be getting into pressure trouble.

any signs on the brass or primers is too late. Your original post is correct. Graphing chrono results and a strain guage which like chronos are easily affordable and simple to use now are the only way to get readings. Looking for primer signs and cracked brass is sorta like the idiot lights cars have. They come on right before your engine locks up due to lack of oil but not soon enough to do anything about it.