Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Angle

el pres

Through all the NPA excersises I found thet I was consistanly pulling out my gun with the muzzle about one ft sight

width to the left. I also had a tendency to mash the trigger causing left shots. Through a lot of practice I have changed my grip

angle from the holster up (which also gave me a better weak hand grip and cant) and really improved my hits at speed. I can now pick a dot on the wall, close my eyes, draw and have the sights lined right on it. Move, twist, and shake, realing and I'm

back on it..

Now I keep hearing all this stuff from like TJ videos about the importance of having your strong forearm lined up with slide and that there is no other way, when you put your arm strightdown relaxed with gun in hand, the muzzle should point straight down... Well it does'nt, and it feels great, total control, trigger, grip, and NPA. I feel tuned in finally...my hits say it all....

So now when I go back to my production gun my ideal grip bites the frame in the back left corner. Not a big deal, small readjust takes care of it but am I learning something bad? I dont think so, my shooting has never been better but lets hear it...

Basically, my strong hand grip right now would be to put the gun in the web of the hand and turn it one ft sight width to the right...

Man, the more I learn the more I need a coach!!

I'm no GM, but I think you'll find that everybody's "technique" evolves with time, and that what works well for one person may not work for you. If you like the way your current grip works, great. You may change it somewhere down the line, and mebbe you'll find yourself more like TJ, or mebbe somebody else.

You might try looking in a mirror with whatever free style stance you use now, and then adjust to what was being recommended. Unless you have really narrow shoulders and/or use an extremely bladed stance, it's doubtful that you'll see your strong side eye directly over strong side arm unless you cant your head (I'm talking about the line of sight from eye through the sights to the target), which doesn't work well for dynamic shooting. Also, most free style "isosceles" stances have a recoil absorbing break at the elbows, which generally means the forearms are even more out of the line of sight from eye to target.

Sorry! really wordy there. What I'm getting at is that, at least as far as I can tell, a little break in the wrists to get the sights onto the line of sight is hard to avoid unless you're shooting one handed ala bullseye. So in my case, shooting free style, I don't have my forearm parallel to the slide.

It might be that part of what TJ was driving at (speculating here) was a good grip on the gun in terms of the fit of the backstrap into the web of the thumb/forefinger and to the palm. This is less aiming oriented as meant to help get a comfortable reproducible grip that helps with recoil and NPA. My gun hangs straight down in my hand as you describe, but with a two handed grip, my wrist breaks to get the gun in line with my eye and the target.

Just my humble thoughts.

KC

Edited by kevin c

Well, again, it's whatever works for you, though it is possible that the gun you're using is a bit big in the grip.

When I started out, I used a Beretta 92 and later a Taurus 101, both big fat double column magazine guns. I have really small hands, and had to "reach around" the strong side grip panel to get onto the trigger, shifting my grip on the gun around counter clockwise from the top (for a rightie) to do it.

Now I'm shooting Para's with slimmed down grip panels, flat MSH's, and Glocks, which I can hold more comfortably the way TJ was describing.

Every model gun seems a bit different - if you change guns you may have to readjust your grip.

kc

Its really a small adjustment but I just wanted some reassurance...

Heres some pics...1 traditional 2 modified (notice the thumb, thats as close as it can

get to the frame in this position...

misc001.jpg

misc002.jpg

I have somewhat larger hands and this also gives me more room in the left rear area for

weak hand meat (cant)....What you guys think??

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

:yawn:

I had to go grab my gun to check, but what I found is mine is almost exactly like yours. Now, I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but that's the same way I grip it. Nobody has couched me, so I just went with what feels right and that's what feel right for me. Mine might be a slight bit more than yours even.

Double open gun...

Wow, I can't belive this thread isn't red hot.

This is one of the things I somehow always end up working on. I also have pretty large hands and I do the same thing. I like to have my strong hand like pic.1, but when I add my left hand to the grip, it pushes my strong hand thumb into the position of pic.2.

The only way I can avoid this is by placing my weak hand a tad lower on the grip.

I shoot a Glock and placing my hand like pic.2 will make the slide touch my hand when it cycles...

• 3 weeks later...
Well, again, it's whatever works for you, though it is possible that the gun you're using is a bit big in the grip.

When I started out, I used a Beretta 92 and later a Taurus 101, both big fat double column magazine guns. I have really small hands, and had to "reach around" the strong side grip panel to get onto the trigger, shifting my grip on the gun around counter clockwise from the top (for a rightie) to do it.

Now I'm shooting Para's with slimmed down grip panels, flat MSH's, and Glocks, which I can hold more comfortably the way TJ was describing.

Every model gun seems a bit different - if you change guns you may have to readjust your grip.

kc

I am just beginning to pay attention to things like grip and have the same dilema, but from a different point of view. My hands are really small but meaty. Grip #1 feels the best (but I still can't hit the mag release without changing the grip on a standard 1911) but I end up with grip two as the string progresses. With two hands, #2 it is most natural for me with gun lining up to point of aim very well. (Kimber short trigger flat MSH, standard grips and mag release)

This is a very good question, I look forward to responses.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just remember: theres the "right way", the "wrong way", "YOUR way", "my way" and

"their way". If YOUR way works i.e. feels good, doesn't hurt and allows you to hit the

target accurately none of the others matter.

Just my opinion.