Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for a Thunder Ranch Model 22

Revopop

I just made a deal trading my beloved Glock for a Thunder Ranch Model 22. I know, I know, if I want to compete seriously I need a 625, and I do still plan on getting one, but I've wanted one of these for a while just 'cause, and if I have it I may as well shoot it in competitions.

I may use this gun for carry occasionally, but I primarily have it as a "fun gun" so I'm not really looking for an expensive race holster or a super concealable IWB holster either, but if I could conceal it under a winter coat I wouldn't be sad. I'm leaning towards leather to work with the "old-timey" look of the gun.

I'm sure I'll probably invest in some Ranch Products moons and a North Mountain Moonclip Holder, but is there anything else I need? Demooner, remooner, etc.?

Suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

BTW, I know there's been a couple of threads lately about Kydex and Leather holsters for a 4" 625, but I'm wondering if the options are different for the tapered, half-lug barrel. When I eventually get that 625, I'll probably get a more competition-specific holster.

Edited by Glockopop

Dillon sells a pancake holster made by Mitch Rosen specifically for tapered barrel N frames for $75. That's the only one I know of, unless you want to get a made-to-order one and wait a few months. You can conceal a 4" N frame under a Hawaiian-style shirt, no need for a winter coat. :)

You can conceal a 4" N frame under a Hawaiian-style shirt, no need for a winter coat.

Good to know. I'm leaning toward just getting a pancake holster made from Simply Rugged. They seem to have a good rep, and their turnaround time isn't ridiculous. Not the fastest thing I can get my hands on, but I think it'll work better if I decide to carry it. Thanks for the heads-up, Chuck.

After I typed that, I realized I said "upchuck" :sick:

I took a pair of 22-4s to Thunder Ranch in 2006 to take Clint's revolver course. I used a BladeTech kydex holster and it worked great! I like leather too but you get a much faster presentation from Kydex......which is pretty damn practical when the feces flies. Kydex is fine fo CCW too.

Bob

A16841

Don't rule out that 22-4 for USPSA. I've shot mine and done just fine. I can find the FO sight on my 25 faster but the orange paint on the 22-4 is pretty quick too.

I carry mine in a Tucker and I have an EP Saddlery street combat that is ok too.

Dave