Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help 183 rounds of .45acp with the wrong powder.

Bronco21

Ok to start off I would like to say I'm a reloading noob. I bought a Dillon 550b, and I love it. I got it all setup for .45acp ( I also bought supply for .223) I realized at 183 of 200 rounds i loaded the WRONG powder. My question what or how should I remove the bullets and powder to re reload.

I thank you for any help. If i posted this in the wrong thread I'm sorry.

I just had to pull ~100 bullets the other day. 550 fps with a 200 gr. bullet is going to make major. Heck it didn't even make minor. Heck it barely moved the slide just enough to throw unburned powder back towards my face.

Get a kinetic bullet puller and go to work. I used my dillon bullet puller and 45 minutes later, job was done.

If they were jacketed bullets, a collet style bullet puller would be easier/quicker to use than the kinetic/jammer type. I think the lead bullets are too soft to grip with the collets style puller. Hornady makes a nice collet puller. I use the RCBS made one and it's ok, but if I was to buy another one I'de go with the Hornady one.

I loaded IMR 3031 rifle powder at 5.8gr I planned to use Unique at 5.8gr . I do have the rifle and pistol primers and powder away from each other, I just got excited receiving the final parts needed form Dillon i just grabbed the wrong powder. I have now marked the powders with tape and marker Rifle and Pistol.

Again thank you all :D

Edited by Bronco21

• 2 weeks later...

What "Scott R" said. Basic safety procedures in reloading -just as on the firing line- can never be repeated too often, and familiarity always breeds contempt if not counteracted by good habits, e.g, even if you pull the trigger to clear the gun and there's a round in the chamber, if you have the habit of pointing the gun in a safe direction, you will only be embarassed.

1. When reloading, only have type of powder you are currently reloading on the bench, with all other powder in your locker.

2. When finished loading a run of ammo, immediately empty the powder from the measure and return to the factory can or jug.

3. Only the box of primers (yeah, I mean the 100-count box....) you are currently working through (or the primer magazine you are using) should be at the bench.

4. The rest of your primers, whether in boxes or loaded into magazine tubes, should be away from the bench. Primers loaded in magazine tubes should be in a secure place away from both the bench and the main storage locker.

5. When finished loading a run of ammo, immediately empty leftover primers from the magazine and return to the factory packaging.

6. Keep the bench clean of all spilled powder, and keep track of any live primers that have "gone loose."

We live in a society where one of our cherished values seems to be "convenience." Therefore, the above procedures are going to seem like overkill to many. But we'll hope it doesn't come to that.....

BTW, here's the latest example I've seen of familarity breeding contempt:

http://dishhead.home.insightbb.com/leg.html

.....that would be classified as a "big owwie," I think. Those 230 gr. Hydra-Shoks have good penetration.

You should be able to save all the bullets and powder. I'd then run the primed brass through the sizer with the decapping pin removed. It's good to resize the brass without disturbing the primers. That way the only thing you'll be wasting is your time.

Dave Sinko