Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers don't fire

ajbarr

I just loaded about 250 rounds of 9mm using Montana Gold (CMJ) 147s, Accurate No. 7 powder and Win SP Primers (OAL at 1.140). Four rounds of these did not fire because the primer failed to ignite. The primer looks like it was seated properly and the strikes are dead center.

I read somewhere on the forum here that incorrect OAL might cause primer problems. I was making shorter bullets but had mag problems with them so I changed the size to 1.140 and they feed perfectly.

Is it possible that I just have a bad batch of primers or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

I just loaded about 250 rounds of 9mm using Montana Gold (CMJ) 147s, Accurate No. 7 powder and Win SP Primers (OAL at 1.140). Four rounds of these did not fire because the primer failed to ignite. The primer looks like it was seated properly and the strikes are dead center.

I read somewhere on the forum here that incorrect OAL might cause primer problems. I was making shorter bullets but had mag problems with them so I changed the size to 1.140 and they feed perfectly.

Is it possible that I just have a bad batch of primers or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Its a CZ 75 SP-01. I checked every primer in the box and they all seemed to be seated properly.

Thanks

How deep is the dimple in the primer? If it's just a slight mark it could have been a high primer....when the firing pin hits the primer it seats it the rest of the way.

Primers are likely to be "high" in other words, not fully seated. Check the setup for your press.

I agree. What reloading press are you using?

I shoot an SP-01. The hammer set-up on all CZs is very similar to a 1911 or a Browning HiPower. I use either 15 or 16 lb. reduced power hammer springs, sometimes with coils cut off. Usually, there is plenty of power in even the lightest springs to set off Winchester primers - which is why I think the primers were not fully seated.

Solutions: 1) fully seat primers and 2) if you are running a cut, 15 lb spring, use a slightly heavier Wolf brand hammer spring.

Also, try this: take out the "Series 80" safety (aka firing pin safety) - many SP-01s come fromt he factory WITHOUT that part installed at all; you can even remove it in IPSC Production within their strict rules. It will lighten the trigger pull AND removing it eliminates the possibility that your firing pin is dragging on that useless safety.

Al, you have to really crush those primers in when you set them. Your gun came fromt he gunsmith with either a 13lbs or a 15lbs spring. Like everyone else has said, the first strike on a high primer just pushes it in, so you cant tell it was a high primer.

I can show you my ammo on a Thursday if you want.

Shay

Thanks

I suspect you have not seated the primers fully. In almost five decades of reloading I habe neber had a Wnchester primer not fire. The CZ-75 i shoot is etremely reliable and has never had a problem setting off either factory ammo or reloads.

Primers are likely to be "high" in other words, not fully seated. Check the setup for your press.

I agree. What reloading press are you using?

I shoot an SP-01. The hammer set-up on all CZs is very similar to a 1911 or a Browning HiPower. I use either 15 or 16 lb. reduced power hammer springs, sometimes with coils cut off. Usually, there is plenty of power in even the lightest springs to set off Winchester primers - which is why I think the primers were not fully seated.

Solutions: 1) fully seat primers and 2) if you are running a cut, 15 lb spring, use a slightly heavier Wolf brand hammer spring.

Also, try this: take out the "Series 80" safety (aka firing pin safety) - many SP-01s come fromt he factory WITHOUT that part installed at all; you can even remove it in IPSC Production within their strict rules. It will lighten the trigger pull AND removing it eliminates the possibility that your firing pin is dragging on that useless safety.

+1, on everything above from Carlos... How do I know this? Trail and error...lots of experimentation. Keep us posted.

I had the same issue with CCI primers not firing, I loaded 100 rounds with Federal and 100 with CCI. All the Federal's fired and 23 of the CCI's did not fire on the first and some not until the third try. I read somewhere that CCI's are "harder" for some reason. I stick strictly with Federal now.

In regard to high primers. +1 to above comments by many others. I have one thing to add though - even if the firing pin strike does not further seat the primer cup and allow the anvil to crush the priming material. The events that occur after detonation will certainly push the primer cup flat compared to the case head, the case is pushed back against the bolt face with great force as the bullet is pushed out of the barrel. So looking at the fired cases won't tell much of a story unless the pressure is high enough to actually smear the primer cup as in some long range rifle loads. I keep a small cosmetic mirror around and set a random handfull of compleated cartridges on it (case head down) periodically to check for high primers (the case will wobble on a high primer). One other thing - check the trim length of your cases, semi autos headspace on the case mouth. If the case is too short you may not get a good firing pin strike.

1.) High quality ammo beats high quantity every time.

2.) Don't be in such a hurry to pump out 600 rounds per hour that you loose sight of the fact that bad ammo can ruin your day, match score, gun etc. I'm sure you get my point.

:cheers:

Be carefull out there!

Ken

Edited by NC Shooter

Shred told me about a primer test he had used that I had never heard of before. However, I would not want to reveal Shred's method without his approval and it probably wouldn't work with loaded rounds. :)