Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Factor Preferences

burntcrispy

174-180. It really doesn't make a difference in my shooting from 165 to 180 if I am on the front sight and shooting the way I need to shoot. I am NOT going minor. Lately they have been right around 174, and go up a bit when it gets hot.

What power factor do you guys usually load to? I know most people do not aim for 165 but a little over, just wondering how much over.Presently I'm shooting 173-175.

I load to 175 for major, 135 for minor. I live in South Florida, but occasionally shoot in central and north Florida during the winter. I like to be sure I make power factor, whether I'm shooting major or minor.

Lee

A search will turn up lots of interesting threads, but in a nutshell, about 5 PF points above the minimum for the division you're shooting in. That is easy to remember, gives the shooter a "cushion" for factors beyond his/her control (such as a change in chronograph instrumentation, ambient temperature, altitude, gun hot or cold when shot) when chrono'ing at a major match vs at load workup, as well as those within his control (such as enough variability in shot to shot velocity that riding right at the PF threshold may get you under the minimum when it matters), and doesn't really feel much different than the slightly slower load. More velocity/PF isn't needed unless other factors come into play, such as gun function/accuracy (though respringing and different components usually deal with this), or that intangible - what "feels good" to you.