Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner mag questions

Happy

If I were to buy a 5" single stack 1911 like a Trojan or a Premier II which mags should I buy? As far as what fits in the box and what doesn't and what works for you and what doesn't, also if you have a favorite vendor. I am shooting a G34 in Production right now. I don't know much about 1911s or "the box". Thanks

you might want to do a search here but to get you started, i use wilson combat 8 rounders with the thick basepad. Depending on your setup, you may or may not have to file the front of the basepad to fit "the box".

If I were to buy a 5" single stack 1911 like a Trojan or a Premier II which mags should I buy? As far as what fits in the box and what doesn't and what works for you and what doesn't, also if you have a favorite vendor. I am shooting a G34 in Production right now. I don't know much about 1911s or "the box". Thanks

What Division you interested in?

Single Stack and IDPA use a box.

IPSC standard uses a different box.

Limited 10 does not use a box.

some folks have indicated that their guns work well with one type of mag but not another.

Novak/ACT , Chip McCormick, Tripp, Wilson and STI all make an 8 round magazine. Some are cheaper than others.

If you can borrow one from someone to try, it may help. No one has every said anything bad about the Wilson mags but they tend to be the most expensive.

Good luck.

I have used Wilson and McCormick for years. Load both to 8 rds. I carry both in 7rd in my ccw gun Colt Officers ACP so I trust my life and the life of my loved ones on them. Go with McCormick 10 rounders because they are cheaper (in my area at gun shows) or whichever you can find at the best price - you can't go wrong.

How about five 8 round Wilsons and five 10 rounders? Or do you guys prefer 7 rounders? I figure if I get 5 of each I'll be able to shoot SS or L10. Thanks for everyones help. Heath

Thats a good combo of mags.

As for using 7 rounders in SS, I think you'll go in with a slight handicap. With 8 rounders you can engage 4 targets and not worry about going to slide lock. Can't say the same for 7 rounders unless you're gonna reload after every 3 targets or 4 if you want to go to slide lock.