Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Next?

Guest qstick

Guest qstick

Hello everyone,

As a newcomer to the both the USPSA/IPSC and shooting sports in general, I am a looking for a little advice on what steps I should take next.

I purchased my 2nd gun last weekend (Springfield XD9) and have put about 1200 rounds through it to date. I spent most of this weekend building stands and using paperbags (gotta start somewhere) as IPSC targets, and practicing with a friend on some of the COF's I downloaded from the USPSA website. I learned that I definately have a long, long way to go before I could even call myself...decent.

I know that I still need to acquire some more gear e.g. mag holders, more magazine's, a bag etc... Is there a website or other source that would outline what the common range commands are and what to expect at an actual match? I'm in Northern Virginia, about an 1 and 1/2 hours from DC and Shooter's Paradise (owned by Phil Strader), but they don;t have their IPSC class beginning for another 4 months, I am hoping to actually shoot a match before then.

I have looked at the VA/MD section of the Area 8 website, does anyone know if any of these clubs shoot practice matches during the week, or a smaller match on an "off" weekend? I would like to start attempting a few matches, but I'm a little intimidated to start cold, knowing that I am unfamiliar with the range commands (although I do shoot at the NRA indoor range occasionally, so I do know the basic commands, just not the competition commands) and my shooting ability is definately sub-par. Brian's book is helping a ton though :D

Sorry for the long post and the "scrambled" order. If anyone has any info or suggestions that might help, I would love to hear them.

Zach

Hi Zach,

Welcome to the BE Forums and welcome to IPSC shooting.

Since you live in USPSA Area 8, I suggest you make contact with my old mate and Area 8 Director George Jones on email address director@uspsa-area8.org and tell him Vinny sent you.

If you'd like to learn about the range commands and the rules generally, I suggest you download a copy from the USPSA website. The range commands are under Section 8.

I'll let the other guys chip in with their advice about equipment, training and so on, but you've taken a positive step coming here, as you'll find lots of advice on all aspects of IPSC shooting.

In fact, get a few Tylenol ready because you'll need them (in a good way) to recover from the "advice overload".

I would recomend going to a match just to watch. I jumped right in at my first match and went to shoot. If you do that just be sure to tell them your new and they might pair you up with someone to help show you the ropes. Also ask to be at the bottem of the shooting order so you can watch others. The main thing is saftey first. Also you may want to call your local club to see if there is a new shooters course you need to go through before your first match.

As far as gear goes if your shooting production you will need 4 or 5 mags and pouches, holster and gun and something to carry your ammo in. Don't worry about getting all this fancy gear until after you get some matches under your belt. You will get to see all kind of gear at the matches and then pick from what you like. Good Luck & Have fun

Zach

Hey bud, welcome to the world of competitive shooting!!!

I have two words...dry fire.

Through dry firing you can become familiar with your blaster, refine movements, and all in all just get to know your gun. You can also have a friend run you through the range commands so your not so unfamiliar with them.

I highly suggest you go to the FAQ at the top of the forum. The information in the Mental and Techinical threads is enough to give Einstein a headache. B)

Lastly, buy a copy of Brian's book ASAP. If I were you, as soon as I got done reading this, I'd be going to the online store. Our host is the Sun Tzu of shooting. :)

Once again, welcome. :D

Check out uspsa.com. There are a number of articles on the site ---- toward bottom if I remember --- geared toward beginning shooters. Pick one gun and shoot it exclusively for the next several months. Buy a holster that covers the trigger guard, rides straight up and down, and four or better yet five mag pouches (we're talking singles here; three doubles would do nicely). Buy six ten round magazines for the gun. In a room that does not contain a single round of ammo, strap your empty pistol on in its holster behind the hip. Put the magpouches behind the other hil with empty magazines. Using a mirror, practice drawing and reloading the gun dry until you can do it with your eyes closed. Ten minutes every day is better than one hour once a week. At the range practice shooting at seven yards. When you can hold the bulk of your rounds in the A zone, move to ten yards, then fifteen, then 20 and so on. Practice a little shooting onehanded. Yes, you'll need that skill ---- but in the beginning make it a small part of your practice. When you're comfortable drawing dry and reloading dry, begin to incorporate that into your range workouts. Be very concious of muzzle direction at all times. Face straight downrange to reholster. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard when reloading ---- and for that matter anytime when you're not looking through the sights at a target. Got all this down? You're ready to enjoy your first match. Call the match director ahead of time if possible ---- if not show up at least an hour before matchtime so you can be safety checked. Good matches will pair with an experienced shooter or shooters to coach you through your first match. Take it very slow. Find all the targets. Shoot all the targets. Stay Safe! Have Fun!

Hi Zach,

I wish you would have posted a couple of weeks ago! Our club, North Mountain Practical Shooters, shoots in Strasburg, VA and we just had a Special Classifier Match on April 27. Phil Strader is a regular at our matches and is always a big help to new shooters. We are very "new shooter friendly" at our club, first time IPSC shooters shoot for free and we will pair you with a seasoned shooter to help you through your first, second or third match if you want.

Feel free to email us at nmpsmatchs@hotmail.com for more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Zach,

Go to the VAMD Section website, Virginia-Maryland USPSA, go the the pull down " section clubs" menu at the top, and email Jason Stoddard (St. Charles Practical Shooters, MD) or Dave Myers (Northern Virginia Practical Shooters / Quantico), tell them your story and they'll get you squared away for the next match.

Both clubs are very friendly to new shooters, just be willing to learn and diligent regarding safe gun handling.

(EDIT - Looks like you've hooked up with North Mountain, good luck and good shooting. The clubs I mentioned are close to DC but a hike from Winchester)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest qstick

Tim,

Thanks for all of your help Sunday. You guys really know how to make a new shooter feel welcome. I had an absolute blast. I am definately hooked, I am already thinking about going to the Va. Blast in Fredericksburg in a few weeks, I just have to print out the application.

Thanks again for all of your help...you might have helped create a monster :-)

Zach