Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-barrel A Revolver

BigDave

Has anyone here re-barreled a N frame revolver with a Douglas, Shilen or Bar-Sto barrel. Bar-Sto is the only mfg. that lists a 10mm barrel (the gun in question is a 610) specifically.

any experience or thoughts?

No, the 5" I have shoots really well. But, I'm contemplating a Bianchi conversion. I know an N frame Cup gun is odd (okay, really odd), but I don't want to trash the 5" barrel.

Big Dave,

I rebarreled my N frame (44 mag) with a barrett barrel that I got from Brownells. The installation was pretty straight forward. I already had a forcing cone reamer, so it was easy to face off the end of the bbl and set the space between the bbl and cylinder. I think that you could pull it off if you have good mechanical skills, and read a proper description from a good gunsmith book. I have done 2 and the results have been a little different. I have a K frame 38 spl that will whoot 3/4 inch groups at 50 yds. My N frame will not shoot that good, and I am still playing with it, but it will only shoot about 2 inches at 25 yds, but I havent tried different weight bullets and the twist is a much faster 10 tpi instead of the s&w 18 3/8 tpi.

Mike

2Alpha - Well, I have thought about that, but I'm really considering Unlimited with a scope base, barricade wings and comped barrel. The comped barrel is the thing. Also, I'm thinking of a big old bull barrel to aid in the extra bit of torque that the .400 bullets will create. Lastly, I thinking of a really good barrel made from a Douglas or Shilen blank to squeeze every last bit of accuracy I can get out of it.

I was thinking if your revolver shoots good enough just add a weight and wings to it and spend the money you save on bullets to practice with. :D Someone used to make a add on weight that just slid over the barrel and I've seen people add wings to those, but I can't remember the manufactor right now. Maybe someone out there will. Wichita maybe?

Putting a bull barrel on requires a little more than just screwing the tube on, it's more involved than changing the barrel on a 1911. Besides needing the proper tools to keep from bending the frame when removing and tightning the barrel you also have to set the gap and forcing cone. Then you'll need a ball crane lock up since you won't have the standard lock up the original barrel has. I think it's best left to a pro unless you already have the tools and experience.

Ditto. Considering the cost of a match tube, wings and sight rib, the labor won't be the biggest part of the bill. If you want to do a match gun on the cheap, add the extras yourself using the factory barrel, When you can out-shoot it, then get a match tube fitted.

Our host might be handicapped by the accuracy of a factory barrel, but not the rest of us.