Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Not Whack The Recoil Spring??????

Guest Dick W Holliday

Guest Dick W Holliday

you would whack the recoil spring on your 1911 to make it function with a light load....so why not do the same on your Winchester or Remington action shooting shotgun????? a buddy just got the Remington and had 4 or five stovepipes out of the first box...shooting 1 1/8 3 dram Remington gun club loads.......D I C K

Guest Dick W Holliday

the gun is a brand new Remington Competition Master.....probably just needs breaking in.....as for the oil----from my skeet shooting days i can tell you that your Remington 1100 will not go for 100 rounds if you let any oil get on the magazine tube....the oil and the gas/powder residue makes a nice goey mess.....you can feel the gun cycling start to slow down and finally won't close all the way without help....DICK

The reason cutting the spring doesn't work on shotguns is because the spring plays a much smaller part than it does on a pistol. You can't affect the function much at all with the spring. it's main job is to return the bolt and chamber another round.

for my 2cents on the oil/don't oil an 1100....for several years we shot a lot of recreational skeet as practice for the Chevy Sportsmans Team Challenge, and a lot of the "shotgun" people were adamant not to oil the 1100.

Change thoughts... I have a friend that is a "tekkie" complete with go fast boat (75mph+), with one of the Mercury 2.0 liter engines and was using the Merc QuickSilver racing 2cycle oil for lubricant with his pistols as he had very good results with it dissipating carbon with his outboard(he had a plug fouling problem with regular oils)...

merge thouthts together... I use this exclusively on my 1911, 1100(minimum 500 rounds between cleaning... yes it does get a little dirty, but has never gotten to the point of slowing down) and AR ( I get very little carbon buildup on the bolt... and I typically dont clean the rifle eithr until about 500 rounds)

word of caution... if you try this stuff, don't use it on a comp gun as it will dissolve LocTite... regards Les