Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZH's Quest

zhunter

OK, I finally got out to practice yesterday. It had been January 30th since the last live fire, and not much dry fire in there either.

So, having never shot El Prez before, I set it up and had some goes at it with my Single Stack set-up. I can see why it is a favorite, as it works lots of skills in one drill.

Most draws were in the 1.30 to 1.45 range.

Most reloads were in the 1.25 - 1.50 range

Transitions averaged about 0.44

Splits averaged about .23

As for Hit factor, my best was a 9.5914, which is an 88% for L-10, I used the L-10 because there is not a Single Stack on the Ohio Calculator. I got this with a run of 5.63 seconds down 6. My best point run was 6.45 down 2 for a HF of 8.9922

As a side note, SS and L-10 are NOT the same for any drill/stage that requires a reload!!!

I then started to practice some drills and such. Fellow forum member rgkeller showed up to practice too, and gave me a few tips which I really think are going to help.

My shooting, as you can see form the above splits and transitions is not very smooth, so Robert suggested I try to shoot with a nice steady cadence of about 0.35 for a run across the 3 targets. After a couple of decent goes trying to do this, he told me to go ahead and burn one, but keep the the cadence, just a faster one. WOW, all of a sudden my transitions got down to about a .28!!!

This happened about the time I had to leave, but this will get some serious practice in the future, as it seems like this will help me a lot.

Thanks Robert!!

• 4 weeks later...

OK, SS Nats are over, I shot well and was happy with the results.

But, now it is time to gear up for the USSA Pro-Am and Limited Nationals.

So.... I got the new to me ( essentially new, maybe 200 rounds thru it ) Limited gun out for a short practice session today.

YIKES

First things first. I know better than to EVER make 2 changes at the same time, but of course I did it. Going from a single stack to a widebody in a DOH holster was bad enough, but add to that it being the first time I ever really shot my new 6" gun, well, it was an eye opener.

I had not shot anything but Single Stack for the past 32 months. With the new equipment my draws were HORRENDOUS!!!!! I was all over the place. Shooting was fine once I got started, the gun will shoot great Bill Drill type groups.

I need a LOT of Dry-Fire practice to get accustomed to this gun and holster. I am thinking about eliminating the DOH from the holster so it is in the same position as my Single Stack. Any thoughts on this???? What scares me is that with the 6" gun, the higher position might be tough to clear.

The gun felt great, nice feel to the cycling and timing.

As a side note, the Girlfriend got her M&P9 yesterday, took her out to shoot for the first time. She was awesome, in 190 rounds at 7 yards of slow to medium fire, only 5 were out of the A-zone, and those were C's. Gotta love that

Z, I put my limited gun and SS at the same position with the same holster so the draws are exactly the same. The problem with that is if you eliminate the DOH from your holster, I use comp-tac belt holsters, you might feel like the joker drawing that 6" gun. Dry fire and see what happens. My biggest issue is where my mags are in limited vs single stack but that is another story...

As a side note, the Girlfriend got her M&P9 yesterday, took her out to shoot for the first time. She was awesome, in 190 rounds at 7 yards of slow to medium fire, only 5 were out of the A-zone, and those were C's. Gotta love that

Dang, this is getting serious!! :popcorn1:

Z, I put my limited gun and SS at the same position with the same holster so the draws are exactly the same. The problem with that is if you eliminate the DOH from your holster, I use comp-tac belt holsters, you might feel like the joker drawing that 6" gun. Dry fire and see what happens. My biggest issue is where my mags are in limited vs single stack but that is another story...

I had thought of that, then Catfish PM'ed me the same thing. So...

I took off the DOH and presto, my draw seemed to be back. Yeah, I thought drawing a 6" gun from SS position might me a tough one, but it was not at all. Holstering is more of an issue. You don't notice it on the draw!!!

What's yer point?

As a side note, the Girlfriend got her M&P9 yesterday, took her out to shoot for the first time. She was awesome, in 190 rounds at 7 yards of slow to medium fire, only 5 were out of the A-zone, and those were C's. Gotta love that!

What's yer point?

Taking a girlfriend shooting just seems so sudden. It's just that I... I... don't even know you anymore. It's like there's this wall growing up between us..... But don't worry, it's not you, it's me!

LOL, that's some good stuff, taking the girlfriend shooting! And sounds like she had a good time too, all the better. ;)

As a side note, the Girlfriend got her M&P9 yesterday, took her out to shoot for the first time. She was awesome, in 190 rounds at 7 yards of slow to medium fire, only 5 were out of the A-zone, and those were C's. Gotta love that!

What's yer point?

Taking a girlfriend shooting just seems so sudden. It's just that I... I... don't even know you anymore. It's like there's this wall growing up between us..... But don't worry, it's not you, it's me!

LOL, that's some good stuff, taking the girlfriend shooting! And sounds like she had a good time too, all the better. ;)

Yeah, problem was, she liked MY 6" Limited gun better than HER M&P9 :unsure:

• 1 year later...

OK, shot for the 2nd time in 15 months today at a Local Classifier match.

Let's see, Trigger freeze on the 1st string of Can You Count. Stuck Magazine on the second string

Two A's on a No-Shoot on Fluffy's Revenge 1 when going to the last target, but hey, they were two perfect A's :D

Squib on a non-classifier stage

ON Peek-a-boo No-Shoots I grabbed a mag to reload and it was empty, but I realized it right away as it was so light, so I just grabbed another and proceeded. I got ragged on for "sand-bagging" the reload in a classifier!! Nothing like friends to make light of your F-ups :roflol:

So, I guess I got what I deserved for not shooting for the best part of 15 months.

I will make a much better effort to dry-fire when I can't shoot matches, or live-fire practice for that matter.

But, at this stage of my life, my kids sports (ages 13 and 14) is way more important than my shooting.

I will post the days results when I get them this afternoon.

• 5 years later...

After a 5 year break, I started back shooting Production last September.

Here is a video from yesterday's match.

3 trigger freezes on stage 1, another later on.

Hit a NS behind the left steel on stage 2

Owned stage 4

2 foot faults ( Procedurals + 1 miss on right partial) on stage 6

Goal for the day was to call shots so I did not waste time visually confirming hits as I left arrays, which I recently realized is a VERY bad habit of mine. The timer confirmed my assumption that calling shots is faster than hosing and confirming.