Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Securing fiber optic in sight

bayouman

I lost my front fiber optic from my sight. I have extras but was wondering how these are secured in the sight. The fiber optics in the rear sight appear to be held in place by taking a soldering iron to at least one end of the fiber optic.

Is this correct or is a glue of some sort used?

Thanks

The front and back ends are melted in place by heating with a match or lighter. I usually melt the front ( end near exit of barrel) bigger to allow for more light. Not sure if it works or not but it sounds good !!

INDIRECT HEAT!!!!! Put the flame close, but don't let it get too close or it will fog the end with soot. Even a butane lighter makes soot, more than you think.

I cut them to length, about 1/8th inch over the length of the sight body, melt one end to the size dot I want to see when I look at the sight while holding it in my fingers. I install it from the front, then melt the back end up tight to the muzzle end of the sight while holding the front side mushroom tight to the sight. If the muzzle end gets too fat and shows on the sides of the blade just trim the sides off with a pocket knife.

ONE drop of superglue will make ONE fiber last a season IF you don't get cleaning chemicals on the fiber. Put the drop right in the middle of the fiber in the middle of the cut-out of the sight so it is easy to scrape out when you do change the fiber again. DO NOT let the super glue get into the ends of the fiber where they go through the sight body,

I use super glue and DO both ends! It holds a peice of fiber for as long as I want it to be there. I just use a number drill the size of the hole to ream out the old fiber ( just hold the drill bit in your fingers and twist, DO NOT use a drill) before installing a new one. I have never broken a light pipe, so I think the support at both ends helps. I have changed a few due to age and fading of the fiber optic. KURTM