Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Pinned Front Sight Install

ChrisParrish

Not hard to do just need some tiny drills, I have grabbed a whole pack from work but I can't remember what size.

A drill press makes it real easy but it can be done with a hand drill. Drill a little from either side and keep switching sides until you get all the way thru.

To install the sight with a hand drill, put the sight fully in place (filing the edges of the sight to make it fit into the slot is often necessary, particularly with the SDM product), then use a tiny bit in your hand drill to mark the location of the hole on both sides. The dimples you make will become your starting points for actually drilling the sight with the 1/16" bit after you remove it. Now drill halfway through from both sides until the hole meets in the middle. Dress the burrs down with a couple passes with the stone, then install the sight with red loctite and drift in the pin.

Done.

Sure about that 1/16" drill bit Mikey ??

The sticky for sights talks about a .055 diameter/No. 54 bit.

Course if you using a new roll/dowel pin sized 1/16" Diameter then forget the above :)

(but then, what do I know :P )

And as folks have mentioned, it's not hard to do, take your time and read the link posted

and you should do fine.

And if you don't you can always try again with a larger Roll pin :blush:

(have the ugly gun to prove it, think I had to go to a metric roll pin :sick: )

Now if you really want the whole 9 yards and your guns not a collocter, switch the front sight

base to the Weigand spring plunger type. Then you can use all the different types of S&W

Classic type sights to experiment with. Gold bead, Red FO, Green FO, plain black, serrated black)

This option my help if you plan on using the revo for both Major loads and minor loads, it will let

you swap out front sight heights easily if needed.

Course this option requires access to a milling machine or a gunsmith.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more quetions if you feel this thread or the link didn't answer

all yours.

The first thing that you need to do is determine WHICH front sight you have on your gun. The late model ones have a spring loaded sight call a Classic or DX. This sight base has a pin in it like the earlier ones do, BUT it doesn't hold the sight in. You can tell by - number or looking at the sight base at the discharge end of the barrel ( you will see a spring & ball detent in the sight base). The earlier type has a smooth flat end on the sight base at the discharge end of the barrel. The correct drill bit size is .055", drill number 54. I would suggest that you buy a couple of them while you are there as they are pretty small & VERY easy to break if you're not careful. They are available @ most all nut & bolt stores. A phone call will answer this question before you chase all over town looking for one. A 1/16" punch is TOO big for the hole. Brownells sells the correct size punch for the job. You can probably make a 1/16" cut down to .055" if you have the time , abaility& tools. The rest of the procedure is stated above & on previous posts. Hopes this info helps.

Granderojo

Edited by granderojo

Now if you really want the whole 9 yards and your guns not a collecter, switch the front sight

base to the Weigand spring plunger type. Then you can use all the different types of S&W

Classic type sights to experiment with. Gold bead, Red FO, Green FO, plain black, serrated black)

This option my help if you plan on using the revo for both Major loads and minor loads, it will let

you swap out front sight heights easily if needed.

Course this option requires access to a milling machine or a gunsmith.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more quetions if you feel this thread or the link didn't answer

all yours.

Like this Dave??

My 25-2 front sight

Sinclair1.jpg

Sure about that 1/16" drill bit Mikey ??

The sticky for sights talks about a .055 diameter/No. 54 bit.

I don't think there is enough meat on the top of the sight base to over drill the pin hole with a 1/16" bit.

Also, the drift I got from Brownells for the job is a tad big to push the pin out. Be careful not to get the drift stuck in the hole as I did first try.