Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dovetail Front Sight

JimmyZip

I recently purchased a set of Millet Sights and an extended safety from Brownells for a Browning HiPower. Not paying attention (me) I guess because they sent me a dovetail front sight. Is this the way to go?

I will be sending the gun to have a barrel installed in it soon, should I just keep the dovetail front sight and have it installed then?

I have a set of small dovetailing mills at my shop but am afraid to put my pistol under the knife so to speak.

Is there an advantage to having the frontsight dovetailed into the slide? I have knocked a front sight off a pistol before during a stage where you placed the gun through a port to engage targets and when I pulled it out it hit the top of the port and no sights! Would a dovetailed sight be stronger?

Just wondering if I should return it or have it installed.

Thanks, JimmyZip

depends on the front sight you have now. Do you have the stair steped one ore the half moon one ? Either way your gonna need a pretty tall front sight. in the .300 area for that sight. Honestly If I was sending it out for barrel fitting I would pay a pro to install either Novak or Heine fixed. Both look great on Hipowers.